free website stats program 2010 FXDF Tire Changing | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 FXDF Tire Changing

ngjandm

well, I am on my first venture of changing my own tires, and have looked all over the internet as well as through my HD manual, I need to buy some sockets for the axle and axle nut, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere, the manual has torque specs but not nut sizes. I have a 1-1/8 socket I use to change my lawn mower blade, that seems slightly big for the right side, but the nut on the left is definitely bigger. is there any place to find this info? maybe a parts catalog website for if I had to purchase the part? I went to one site, it showed the part you could order, but didn't say what size it was.

I use a 12" crescent wrench on the axle head, and a socket on the nut. I used a socket with a bit of slop without problems before I got the proper size. I also reversed the side the axle goes in on my Dyna so I no longer need to remove a muffler.

thx folks....obviously I'm about to buy some sockets, so don't want to have to buy stuff I'm not gonna need. I read about the reversing and I might do that. I was going to get started tonight, but UPS lost (or someone in UPS stole) my shipment from motorcycle superstore so gonna have to wait.

Are you just pulling the wheel and a shop is going to mount and balance assembly???

Are you just pulling the wheel and a shop is going to mount and balance assembly???

i'm gonna try the whole kit and kaboodle. wish me luck. did a bunch of reading already, popping the bead, removing the tire, balancing the tire, etc.

i'm gonna try the whole kit and kaboodle. wish me luck. did a bunch of reading already, popping the bead, removing the tire, balancing the tire, etc.

The reading part is pretty easy but actually doing it is not an easy task without the right tools and equipment. I will bet that by the time you are done, you will think the $20 that many independents charge for tire dismount, mount new tire and balance is money will spent but I do wish you all the best with your endeavor. Let us now how it goes.:D

I always change my own tyres I could take the wheels off and take to an independent dealer to change the tyres for me but I have been riding bikes for many years and have always changed my own tyres
Here is a link to a wee guide to how I do my tyres it had a bit more info when I first did it but seems to have been cut back at some point
Harley Davidson Forums

Brian

The reading part is pretty easy but actually doing it is not an easy task without the right tools and equipment. I will bet that by the time you are done, you will think the $20 that many independents charge for tire dismount, mount new tire and balance is money will spent but I do wish you all the best with your endeavor. Let us now how it goes.:D

I bought some tire spoons, something to break beads, rim protectors, something to rotate the tire for balancing. my buddy changed his for the first time, he used the tie wrap method. I'm thinking the harder part will be getting the wheel off the bike.

I bought some tire spoons, something to break beads, rim protectors, something to rotate the tire for balancing. my buddy changed his for the first time, he used the tie wrap method. I'm thinking the harder part will be getting the wheel off the bike.

Have lots of patience and time and be sure to walk away when frustration sets in.......:s

Back