free website stats program 2010 fat bob, no spark | Harley Davidson Forums

2010 fat bob, no spark

Bubs82

Just bought my bike from damage vehicle auctions, just needed new front forks and minor cosmetics.

Bike started the day i picked it up once i jump started it. battery seemed dead. i bought a harley trikle charger for it but didnt bring the battery back to life. purchased new battery when i got new forks. now bike will turn over but no spark.
only other thing i have done is taken the rear fender and brake light off.

codes ive had coming up are

p0261
p0263

what should i try next? ive cleared codes but they come back.

any help would be appreciated

1) Make sure fuse labeled "ECM" is good.
2) Make sure contact pins of cube relay labeled "System Relay" are clean and relay is fully seated.
3) Make sure crank sensor wiring near voltage regulator is intact and not damaged from crash. Be sure crank sensor "quick disconnect" connector is fully seated and not damaged. Be sure crank sensor does not have any impact damage from crash.

Clear ECM of codes.
Remove the fuse labeled "Fuel Pump". Fuse holder has two socket pins. Take your volt meter and clip the black wire to frame ground. Red wire of meter to either fuse receptacle. Turn ON ignition and flip bars kill switch to RUN. Did voltmeter read 12 volts for appox 4 seconds? If no, then try the same procedure with the other fuse receptacle pin.
One of the two fuse holder receptacles MUST read 12 volts for 4 seconds. Does that happen.
Be sure to wait 10 seconds with ignition in OFF between each 4 second boot test.

Did either fuse socket pin read 12 volts for 4 seconds?
Did new P0261/P0263 codes get logged?

I had this problem with my Fat Bob last year. Same codes. Hoople is spot on. Following his advice, I checked the system relay (fuel pump was not priming). Two of the prongs were slightly corroded. I cleaned them and it fired right up. After an hour ride, it happened again. I replaced the system relay and haven't had a problem since. $8 part - easy fix.
I've owed Hoople a big Thank You ever since. Thanks Hoople!!
I've read that this is a problem with Sportsters too. Moisture settling in the bottom corner of the fuse box. Use a little contact grease and occasionally check for corrosion.
I bought a spare.

Back