free website stats program 2009 XL 883L Any diagnostic ideas? | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 XL 883L Any diagnostic ideas?

spyder410

I live far away from any Harley dealership, so I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction. I have a 2009 Sportster 883 low that is well maintained and garage kept. It seems to have some electrical problem I can't figure out. Bike starts fine and idles fine. On the road, in 5th gear, it operates fine, then suddenly begins to lunge as if it is about to stall out, loses power, and then revs again, but it feels like it will stall and then it cuts out completely. So without a change in the throttle, the speedometer will suddenly drop to 10 mph then back up to 60mph, even though the bike is moving about 60 mph,it feels as if it wants to just cut out. The engine light comes on after a while and the bike will eventually stop runnning. It can be restarted immediately in neutral, put into first, ridden a few hundred feet, but then the lunging starts again. It doesn't seem to matter what gear it is in once it starts to act this way. There is clean fuel in the tank, (even though it feels like the engine is starving for fuel), all wires are tight, battery is fine, oil level is fine, clutch fluid is fine, plugs are ok. It was a sudden change in the bike's performance with no warning. Any ideas??? Thanks! Jeff

It sounds as though you are intermittently loosing electrical power this could be due to a loose connection or a bad ground
the first place to check is the battery cables both ends of both cables

Brian

Any work on it recently? Like handlebars? Grips? etc.

First things first, check your battery connections and load test the battery, too many times a connection will loosen up and cause all kinds of problems:D

I had this issue same issue on my 2001 when I got bad gas (from the station, not my backside). Might be worth a drain and some fresh go juice, and a fuel filter check.

I also had a similar issue when I installed some chrome spark plug covers and it would rain or was high humidity. I could even hear the plugs arcing to the heads at high RPMs. Took off the covers, and reattached the plug wires and it cleared right up.

Battery Connections and Diagnostic Codes would be really high on my list of the things to check as well.

Back