free website stats program 2009 Ultra Steering Head Grease | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Ultra Steering Head Grease

PayDirt

I have had a look around the site for some guidance on this but am left a little unsure.my question to you guys in the know is when there is no grease fitting to be found on the neck and only what appears to be a small inspection hole on the lower left side(unthreaded and too big to screw a grease fitting into) do you just simply pump grease into the neck cavity by holding the gun in line with the hole or use some special kind of adapter to fit on to a normal grease gun ??
Thanks!
PD

Turn your bars all the way to the right, you should see a grease fitting on the left side of the neck.

Turn your bars all the way to the right, you should see a grease fitting on the left side of the neck.

After you do this do yourself a favour and take it out and replace it with a 1/4'' NPT 90* grease nipple:s

After you do this do yourself a favour and take it out and replace it with a 1/4'' NPT 90* grease nipple:s

Well,I found it.Hidden behind large electrical conduit which is held to the neck overtop of the grease fitting with a strap that is riveted to the neck,hmmmm.
I will replace it with a 90* fitting, thanks! There are 2 "inspection" holes with plastic plugs in them,both on the left side as well, will they stay in place when the neck cavity is pumped full of grease? looks to me like they will pop out before there is enough pressure in the neck to push a little grease into the bearings, whadda ya think??

Leave the plugs, I dont think you are going to build enough pressure with grease to push them out. Grease will come out the top and bottom first.

Well we're all good. The fitting is a stright one and with bars deflected full right access is easy.Pumped about 3/4 of a large tube of grease into it and yes grease eased out at about the same time at both top and Bottom bearings. the 2 plugs are south of the bearing neck/housing and the area behind them does't receive an grease when packing the neck. Even with 30,000k's ( before first post delivery greasing) there doesn't seem to be any issues , no play in the neck and the original grease pushed out looked fairly fresh.

Thanks for the responses !!

PD

I used Quaker State wheel brg grease, says it's high temp and water resistant.
it's a light tan colour..

PD

What grease did you use??

What grease does everyone recommend? I keep forgetting about that same spot. I have 20,000 miles on my 09 and haven't greased it yet. I guess it is about time. Is it recommended to fill until grease just begins to be pushed through the top and or bottom? Thanks everyone.

They are just a simple set of old fashion wheel bearings, cup and cone, so i used wheel brg grease but made sure it was high temp so it wouldn't tend to run out and make a real mess all over the front of the bike. Grease squeezed out simultaniously top and bottom, sure took a lot of grease!!!! better part of a large tube ...

PD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back