free website stats program 2009 ultra, how much trans oil ? | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 ultra, how much trans oil ?

orange68

Last night, I changed to engine oil (mobil 1), trans oil (spectro GL-5) and primary oil (HD Formula +).
The question I have is how much oil does the trans really need. The service manual indicated to put in 32 oz. and make sure the level is between the add and full line. When I added 32 oz, the level was low, so I added approx 2 or 3 oz to get the level correct on the dip stick. Checked on jiffy stand and didn't screw the stick in as the service manual indicates.
Is it ok to add the extra oil in the trans to get it to the correct level?
Haven't had a chance to ride it yet as weather is not good here now.

I'm just the opposite. :p By no means am I right but in my opinion the absolute number of ounces is irrelevant. The marks on the stick is what counts to me. Factor in a little for heat expansion and fill it up to the line.

Aren't you glad you asked the question?

I have read so much on this topic. I plan on doing my oil changes this weekend because I just received my service manual. I have heard several people say not to overfill and just add one quart. Dipstick is what makes sense to me since mechanical things operate differently sometimes. I am new to HD so do you go by the dipstick or what the manual states? I only purchased one quart of Spectro so now I am concerned I will not have enough fluids for my trans which means I will not be able to ride until I received another quart through the mail.

I am concerned I will not have enough fluids for my trans which means I will not be able to ride until I received another quart through the mail.

I would think your making UPS rich ordering 1 quart at a time. Don't you get clobbered on freight?

Spectro is hard to find in my area. Reading the posts I decided to go with this particular lubricate for my trans. You are correct and yes I learned a valuable lesson to order more at one time instead of just one quart.

What Smitty says is true. I would think plus or minus a couple of oz's means nothing. My thing with reading the mark on the stick is only a habit. As a matter of fact, when I picked up my bike new, the stick read kind of low.

I have read so much on this topic. I plan on doing my oil changes this weekend because I just received my service manual.
GOOD!<<<<<<<<<

I only purchased one quart of Spectro so now I am concerned I will not have enough fluids for my trans which means I will not be able to ride until I received another quart through the mail.
Not true in my book!<<<<<<<<<<<

One Quart is enough and Will not hurt the tranny in any way... You Can ride it without a worry.... It takes a lot of oil Missing to cause a problem and No Way is 32 oz of that Great oil is going to make it LOW!

If you want to add Later to the tranny, ""go for it"" But Don't miss-out on a ride because of 32 oz. being Called LOW! It truly is Okay!

signed....BUBBIE

ONE quart it is the easiest of all oil and lube to change. Get bike well warmed up (hot) drain it add one quart , done.
Do not add extra.

I had a FXDS that would show low on the dip-stick in tranny. I would fill it up to the full mark which is a okay way to do it Also...

But after I filled it to the mark it would spew fine oil mist out while riding....
Out the vent tube on tranny top...

Not liking to Smell REDLINE heavy all the time.
I left it LOW on the stick from than-on.(but full by the oz. called for in book) I would re-check the oil amount in the tranny and it was Always Back to what I called LOW.
The Tranny would seek it's Own Full Level.

Jut my way
signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubbie/Smitty901,
Thanks for the great information and help with the proper level of trans fluid. Have a great one.

I did order several quarts of spectro when I ordered.
When I added the one quart to the trans. there was very little if any touching the dip stick. Only took 2-3 oz. to get it to the full mark.

When the weather (rain) permits I will take a ride to get trans hot and then check to see how much it increases and adjust as needed. Will post how much increase I see.

Thanks for all the quick reply's.

Back