free website stats program 2009 Street Glide Mods completed... RTR | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Street Glide Mods completed... RTR

bonedaddio

Well, it's finished for now... (Cams later on??!!??)
This is, like everyone else says, the Sweetest Glide ever. 1400 miles so far, and I just plain love to ride this bike. I'd ride any Harley, but this bike is just sooooo smooth...
If anyone's interested here's the mods list and some photos
Mustang Solo seat (thanks for the help and info teleman001-MarkInPA!)
Mustang Pillion (got the 11", sending it back for the 13.5" per wifey)
HD Fog lights (these really work well, and look good)
HD double Windshield Bag
Highway Pegs (I finally got them where I like, never got it right on the 07 SG)
HogTunes Speakers (a must... see the photo)
Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC
Rush slip-on Baloney Cuts (great tone, not too loud LOVE THESE and I probably won't be getting tickets unless I get stoopid)
HD Race Tuner (I know, others like other tuners, but I'm a computer geek by trade and I will be looking at and trying a few things... CAREFULLY... and I'll want one if I go with the cams and a dyno tune)
LEDs (color changers, I like being able to change the colors, PA DMV sez they're legal to run with turned on; if I go to MD I'll just set them to white or orange and hope for no hassle, or just turn them off)

AND I gotta tell you, this thing runs like crazy. It will pop you out of the seat some when you shift. My buddy has an 07 Ultra with the 103" motor, cams, pipes, AC and download... he is freaking out cause he can't stay with me. For real. It's partly the gearing but I'll never tell him that!

Sorry about some of the photos, some were taken with an iPhone 3G. Still waiting on the bracket for that particular iPhone...

Fun With Your New Harley: (Still wrenching a little, started in 1970 with a WR model... had a lot of old ones—wish I still had them... I do have some photos to remember them by)
newhdfun2_pbucket.jpg

newhdfun1_pbucket.jpg

Sweet Glide ("The Dark Side of the Baggers" some one else said)
DSC00177pbucket.jpg

DSC00181pbucket.jpg

DSC00178pbucket.jpg

That's the Susquehanna River in my backyard, sometimes it IS the backyard... catfishing on the lawn LOL!
DSC00175pbucket.jpg

fogswitch-combo.jpg

Look at the magnet structures! Doh! What is the MOCO thinking???!
hogtunes_pbucket.jpg

Sorry, this is from the iPhone... still, you get the idea
LEDs_pbucket.jpg

Riding a LOT in PA

Les

RottMan, it's the same '08 model seat that teleman001-MarkInPA posted pictures of, who gave me the idea and great advice.

Mustang sez they won't have the '09 version ready until December. Actually, I think it works fine... I adapted it a little differently from Mark's method. He screwed two new bumpers to the seat pan. What I did was make two rubber blocks from a boot heel, and used automotive trim adhesive tape to hold them to the frame (the same location as Mark's bumpers, just on the frame, not the seat). Don't laugh, it worked REALLY well, and was quick... and kind of like recycling, yes? I'll post a photo if you want to see.

Like Mark sez in his posts with pictures, there is a slight gap when you sit on the seat caused by the seat flexing a little (on mine, it's really slight). The rubber blocks I made are maybe larger and don't give as much as a standard bumper... but you still should put something over the galvanized tank strap which shows a little when the seat flexes... I used black automotive carpet, and you really can't see it even when you sit on the bike.

If you don't like the stock SG seat, I'd strongly suggest the Mustang.

RottMan, it's the same '08 model seat that teleman001-MarkInPA posted pictures of, who gave me the idea and great advice.

Mustang sez they won't have the '09 version ready until December. Actually, I think it works fine... I adapted it a little differently from Mark's method. He screwed two new bumpers to the seat pan. What I did was make two rubber blocks from a boot heel, and used automotive trim adhesive tape to hold them to the frame (the same location as Mark's bumpers, just on the frame, not the seat). Don't laugh, it worked REALLY well, and was quick... and kind of like recycling, yes? I'll post a photo if you want to see.

Like Mark sez in his posts with pictures, there is a slight gap when you sit on the seat caused by the seat flexing a little (on mine, it's really slight). The rubber blocks I made are maybe larger and don't give as much as a standard bumper... but you still should put something over the galvanized tank strap which shows a little when the seat flexes... I used black automotive carpet, and you really can't see it even when you sit on the bike.

If you don't like the stock SG seat, I'd strongly suggest the Mustang.

Thanks for the reply and yes, post a pic when you get a chance. My plan is to wait until Mustang has the 09 seat or the wife demands a new seat, whichever comes first. Right now just riding to and from work (15 mi) each way and short rides on weekends. However, my dealer just called me yesterday to tell me my TourPak is in so it may be sooner than I think.

bonedadio
I love what you have done with your street glide, between you and teleman001's posts I have so much inspiration. (wanna be like you... when I grow up)
will definitely wait for the 09 mustang solo + pillion. (not gonna buy an 08 seat)
Hogtunes are on the way. (just look at the magnets ... a no brainer)
Just installed a pair of Rivco AirHorns.

zman in NJ

Les- NICE MODS!! Bike looks GORGEOUS!! Hey- how tall are you? Asking b/c I have a Mustang solo seat now on my RK, and I am buying an 09 SG. I have alot of pain in between my shoulder blades and I think it's because of the riding position that my seat and handlebar combination put me in. I LOVE my Mustang seat comfort-wise, and am wondering if it puts you back a bit from the controls, like it does on my King. How tall are you, and are the stock handlebars comfortable for you?

Thanks man- NICE RIDE!!!

Hey, martysnarf,

Thanks! Man, you won't regret the 09 SG, it's SUCH a fine bike, stock even. Tweaked a little it's definitely the dark side of baggers! (quoting someone else, but it's true).
I'm 6'2", position is fine for me. I'm not sure, but I think the Mustang (2008 model) Solo seat may have actually moved me a tad closer to the bars (or maybe just down a little), doesn't seem any further away. I have 1400 miles on it and hope to do a lot more soon.
I wouldn't mind some different bars, hands higher and back to me a little more, but with the throttle by wire, ABS brakes and Cruise, I'm probably not going to be changing them.

Enjoy your SG!

Thanks for the response! I'm exactly the same height as you, so that answers my concern perfectly. I was worried that because the bike is lowered, that I would be too tall for it, and uncomfortable. My RK's riding position bugs me a bit, and I was hoping for an improvement with the SG. Guess I'll find out soon!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Bone,

Put something on your rear fender to protect the paint when your passenger seat is on the bike. (3M film etc) otherwise, you WILL get paint rubs on the fender, and it will look like bad when you want to run with just your solo seat.

I found that out the hard way on my 07.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back