free website stats program 2009 Road King Classic (Stage 1 upgrade) | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road King Classic (Stage 1 upgrade)

cdawg_63026

Hello All !

I have just purchased a 2009 Road King Classic - ready to do Stage 1 - pipes, air cleaner and ECM (I think that is right:yeahright). Just wanted to get anyone's (everyone?) opinion about the parts selected:

* Vance & Hines Slash / Tapered Slip-on's
* Screamin Eagle Hi-Flow A/C (50mm?)
* DynoJet Power Commander V

Thanks for the feedback and can't wait for Spring!

C DAWG - in St. Louis, MO

Welcome to the forum.Check out The Diagnostics and Fuel Injection in the self help section of the forum.You will find a lot of interesting answers to your Questions there. It may also lead to more questions But you will find it informative and helpful:D

I have Rush slip ons currently, and in my possession but not installed yet are a S/E stage 1 air cleaner and a TTS tuner. I like the looks and flexability of the TTS so thats why I chose it. I will report back as soon as I get everything installed.

Congrats on your new bike. Get ready for Harley fever to set in. I bought my 08 Ultra classic in July and have become addicted to chrome and goodies. You can get carried away real quick. I swear I had a hole in my wallet every time I opened it up. Harley was smart to make so many cool things available as aftermarket parts. They pretty much get you to spend almost half as much customizing your ride as buying one.
I did the stage 1 and Hooker Tuned Flow slip on at time of purchase. The only extra was the canned map for the ecm to allow for increased air flow. I don't think you need a tuner for a basic stage 1 upgrade? The only problem I had with the canned map and "my setup" was a little decel pop.
I have since then done the 103 big bore kit w/cams and also installed the new screaming eagle race tuner (S.E.R.T) as I was planning to get it dyno'd after it broke in. With the sert my mechanic was able to tweak the afr tables in the ecm and now I have no decel pop and bike runs strong. I don't think I'll bother having it dyno'd at this point.
Anyhow listen to sound bites in the Exhaust portion of this forum before you spend money.
If you are interested, I have the screaming eagle stage 1 breather kit and screaming eagle touring slip on pipes that came with my big bore kit(Unopened) I would gladly sell to anyone interested. If you stay with Harley parts I think a Harley canned map would be all that you need for the ECM..

Hello All !

I have just purchased a 2009 Road King Classic - ready to do Stage 1 - pipes, air cleaner and ECM (I think that is right:yeahright). Just wanted to get anyone's (everyone?) opinion about the parts selected:

* Vance & Hines Slash / Tapered Slip-on's
* Screamin Eagle Hi-Flow A/C (50mm?)
* DynoJet Power Commander V

Thanks for the feedback and can't wait for Spring!

Hey C Dawg --- can't comment on the SE or the DynoJet due to having the A.N. Big sucker and the V.H. fuel pak but I do have the VH tapered/slash on my ultra and I REALLY like the sound out of them. A good "throaty - rumble" with out being obnoxius.

cdawg63026, Explore the thundermax ecm and associated products with it. I had one installed this past year and makes the bike run a whole lot better. You are also given the program disk so you can make changes to the settings. Thundermax ecm also adjusts to how you ride. An excellent product in my book.

Okay, I got the S/E air cleaner on and downloaded the modified base map into the ECM.
Following the instructions everything was very easy. The bike starts and runs much better. I hope to get the V tune runs in this week.

cdawg, I think you made an excellent choice on the mufflers. I've tried cycle shack, and rienhart and I like the vance and hines alot better.They have a nice deep tone,however they can be a little loud when you get on the throttle.(I like loud)

Thanks to everyone for the responses on my post - :cheers

Getting stuff installed on Saturday - More feedback when completed!

:D OK, let me start with - WooHoo! MAN, I had no idea that slip-ons could / would sound that good! I talked to the tech that did the installation @ Doc's HD in STL, he said that I would see an "appreciable improvement" in performance and sound - he was RIGHT! For those who question whether or not to get the Power Commander vs. others, I would suggest you research what you choose - the PC was a good choice for me as there were maps that gave me just what I needed.

OK, now for the one thing that I was not so happy with - the fit / finish of the tapered exhaust did not quite look right on the right hand side of the heat-shields. Just my opinion but they couldn't do anything about that there at the dealer - no biggie tho!

This is my third HD - so, was pleased overall with these upgrades!

Thanks for all the posts and follow up - Think Spring and Ride it Like you Stole it!

C DAWG

Back