free website stats program 2009-later premium ride shocks (low profile) on 2008 SG | Harley Davidson Forums

2009-later premium ride shocks (low profile) on 2008 SG

craig Lee

OK, another thread on shocks. :) After talking with my indy company yesterday about the different shocks available for touring, they mentioned they've put several of the 2009+ premium shocks on 2008 earlier model touring bikes. They had a set of low profile premiums lying around and put them on my 2008 SG replacing my stock air. What a difference. For the guru's: I've been reading yeh and neh about this because of the 2 sided spring strengths and the redesign of the swing arm for the 2009 later models. What sayeth' yee' and I'm looking at swing arm issues in the future or is it cool?

I have heard good things about these shocks, H D stock air shocks have not changed much in years, you would think they would learn 1 of these days, I say ride it you will have no major issues ;)

I have heard good things about these shocks, H D stock air shocks have not changed much in years, you would think they would learn 1 of these days, I say ride it you will have no major issues ;)

Thanks Jack and as always, much appreciated. I trust my Indy Company but just wanted to see if I would get the HDTimeline approval or not. I'm sure others will chime in on their thoughts/experiences in which this thread could help others with 2008 and earlier rides improve the rear suspension with the Premium Ride Hand Adjustable Shocks. I see them on ebay from $200.00- $325.00 which is cheaper than Progressives, etc.

The biggest decision with shocks is riding style or looks. For most though factory shocks seems to get the job done.

Man, I'm really digging these premium ride low shocks that are off a 2015 RG (left #5400081 and right #5400082). After riding a little over 90,000 miles with the air shocks on my '08 SG, what a difference. OK, here's one for ya'. :) I noticed my Indy Co put my right shock on upside down (shaft facing up) and looked up several different takes on it. This new shock was offered in 2010 but it 2014 and later, it came from the factory upside down (shaft facing up). No one really had an answer other than it's a monotube shock and functions the same way inverted or not. I downloaded the instructions (54680-10) and it illustrated to mount the shock with the shaft down. Well, it bugged me so today my Indy Co turned it with the shaft facing down and they really had no answer other than now the "stuck on little sticker with the serial number is upside down". Go figure. :)

Man, I'm really digging these premium ride low shocks that are off a 2015 RG (left #5400081 and right #5400082). After riding a little over 90,000 miles with the air shocks on my '08 SG, what a difference. OK, here's one for ya'. :) I noticed my Indy Co put my right shock on upside down (shaft facing up) and looked up several different takes on it. This new shock was offered in 2010 but it 2014 and later, it came from the factory upside down (shaft facing up). No one really had an answer other than it's a monotube shock and functions the same way inverted or not. I downloaded the instructions (54680-10) and it illustrated to mount the shock with the shaft down. Well, it bugged me so today my Indy Co turned it with the shaft facing down and they really had no answer other than now the "stuck on little sticker with the serial number is upside down". Go figure. :)
I have seen inverted front forks but not rear shocks until now, been installing shocks and struts 1/2 of my adult life new to me glad you like the ride, now to upgrade Ms Blings Sporty eh?

now to upgrade Ms Blings Sporty eh?

You know boss, we would but her bike is already tricked out especially for her. :) ('06 with 80,000+ miles) She is 5'2", by the end of '06 she had put the 10.5" progessive shocks on. (She also took the 21" off putting a 19" upfront, lowered the front end by 7/8" adding heavier fork oil, Mueller easy pull, S&S Super E, 2 into 1 pythons, etc.....if the Queen ain't happy....) :) Real "proud" of her!!

Last edited:
You know boss, we would but her bike is already tricked out especially for her. :) ('06 with 80,000+ miles) She is 5'2", by the end of '06 she had put the 10.5" progessive shocks on. (She also took the 21" off putting a 19" upfront, lowered the front end by 7/8" adding heavier fork oil, Mueller easy pull, S&S Super E, 2 into 1 pythons, etc.....if the Queen ain't happy....) :) Real "proud" of her!!
I am always allowed to spend money on bike stuff if it is for the wife's bike so when she sees boxes of parts arrive it is always for her bike some of the stuff does end up on my bike and I get to spend quality time in the shed

Brian

Good deal, bet that bike rides nice

Back