free website stats program 2009-FLHR: loud clunk during start up | Harley Davidson Forums

2009-FLHR: loud clunk during start up

Joe Schmack

Account Removed
Hi,

my 2009 Road King makes a really loud clunk when starting.
Loudness is comparable to the noise when I shift the 1st gear and oil is cold.
The bike is shattering.

My dealer says its common but I am afraid that anything is wrong.

What do you think ?

Cheers,
JoeSchmack

An easier solution is to try getting rid of the Formula + oil that's in your primary and using something like Drag Specialties primary oil, etc. When I bought my bike the first thing I did was get rid of the Formula +, it's terrible. Causes a lot of tranny noise, hard to find neutral, etc. Also changing over took away that loud clunk by about 50%.

L

I got the same thing with my '09 SG. I will change to Redline in a week or so. I hope it makes a difference.

Theo.

It's a common noise because of a bad design for the compensator sprocket.

There' is something that will help here...

Compensator Kit - Harley Davidson Community

Glider,

I get this same kind of clunking noise when pulling out from a stop. It is even worse when carrying a passenger and even worse when pulling out going up hill. It goes away as soon as bike gets moving. Is this just compensator doing what it's supposed to do?

It sounds like it but the compensator really shouldn't make any noises once started unless it is defective.

Mine does it too. Good to know!

I plan on changing to Spectro synthetic fluids here soon; I'll let you know if it improves.

Agree with Glider on possibly defective compensator .. But don't care if you use Angels from Heaven Marvelous Oil.. On a cold morning starting out .. Are going to get an initial 1st Gear "clunk" with a Harley and most every other make of Bike as well..

It's not the first gear clunk I am worried about as every harley I ever owned did that but the low tune clunk clunk clunk noise at very low rpm pulling out on hill or just from dead stop is loud and just plain annoying. It does it cold and hot. None of my other big twins ever made this noise and my ear says its coming from the compensating sprocket assembly. I am gonna take it to the dealer and see if they will fix it as it's under warrany and I hope I don't hear that same old " they all do it answer"....

Obviously we are not alone wich "our" Touring - clunks.

Hi again and thank you for the replies.

Also in other harley forums people complain about this problem. Several dealers (in Germany) told me that the noise is normal and therefore they refuse to help.

Do you guys in USA have an idea, how to obtain an official position of the company ?

The 2010 models were announced in these days. Will these models still have the clunking problem or did the company improve something. If yes, this could be an argument for dealers to improve our models.

Moreover: why not address this problem to a magazine ? Any ideas ?

Cheers,
JoeSchmack

I have a 2009 Ultra, very faint single clunk when you start it cold then that's it. 7,000 KM's on it, a lot of two up, towing trailer and have never had it make a clunk sound starting off from a stop or any other time. I would have to agree with Glider, either a defective or lose compensator, definitely not normal. A few friends with 08's & 09's and never heard anyone complain about it and they would.

Back