free website stats program 2009 Dyna shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Dyna shocks

garja49

I need to drop the rear wheel on my 2009 Dyna Lowrider to access the bolts inside rear fender (unless there is a better way). I'm installing rigid mount side plates to for a sissy bar. It appears that I can remove the bolts though the bottom of the shocks and lift the rear end enough to gain clearance to the bolts. Is there anything to watch out for when removing or reinstalling the shocks? Do I have to torque the shock bolts? Any advices or pointers will be appreciated.

I had to do Exactly what you are doing to my 2009 FXDL. You have to have a bike jack to do what you want to do.

If you have bike jack, it is no problem.

Are you installing a light relocation kit also?

Here is a little extra info that may help you...

Jack the bike up until you see the shock is fully extended. Then lower the bike until you see the shock "just start to collapse". You can now remove the lower shock bolts safely. Once each lower bolt is out, just jack the frame up to gain clearance under the fender.

When it is time to install the shock bolts, just lower bike until the lower shock mounting hole and the frame hole line up and install the bolts. The Spec is 30-40 ft/lbs using #243 Blue. Do not completely tighten them until the bike is back to its normal ride height.

I was not too crazy about cutting the wires for the light relocation kit. If I was to do it again, I would do it differently than how the directions say,,but HD's way does work. It's just not the best way it can be done. (I don't like spices especially with crimp connectors)

Take your time and dress the wires properly. If you don't they will rub against the tire and short out and blow fuses.

Thanks Hoople... Doesn't sound like it will be too much trouble. I do have a bike jack. I was thinking about installing the light relocation kit but I heard so much about how bad they look I thought I would wait and look around at my options. Like you I hate the thought of having to cut the wires. Eventually I would like to add bags... perhaps the throw-over saddle bags which I believe will require that I relocate the turn signals.

I had to install the relocation light kit because I installed a detachable Sissy bar. I had this Brain Storm that I was going to remove the Sissy bar when not in use but that has never happened. It's been on the bike since day one and I never once have taken it off. Just more money wasted on a feature I never used.

Your much better off with the permanent model & no light kit.

Funny you should mention not removing the sissy bar. Originally I had purchased the detachable bar but then took it back thinking I would never remove it once I had installed it. You just confirmed I might be right. I still may end up moving the signals if I add the throw-over bags.

That's funny , when i went to buy my sissy bar i too was going to get the quick detach type and i even told the parts guy that's what i wanted . He looked at me and asked do you plan on taking it on and off all the time ? I said probably not . He told me buy the regular style because the quick detach ones had trouble breaking the plastic bushings . What a guy !

I have permanatly mounted sissy bars on all the bikes and bag rails and throw over bags and racks and find the sissy bar a great place to secre bungies to when loading the bikes up when loaded the rack and pillion seat have luggage

Brian

I'm gald to hear the feedback from everyone that used fixed mounted plates. Makes we believe I made the right choice. Just finished installing them and ready to go for a ride.

Back