free website stats program 2009 Clutch Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Clutch Noise

Hoping someone can help me. I've got an 2009 Roadglide. When engauging the clutch, it makes what I would call, a quick clacking noise, and sometimes when disengauging, the clutch it will also make this noise, does anyone else have this problem, or is it normal.
Thanks in advance Jonnierock

If you are referring to the gear noise when shifting into gear, that's pretty much normal. It can be minimized with proper clutch adjustment.

If you are referring to the gear noise when shifting into gear, that's pretty much normal. It can be minimized with proper clutch adjustment.

... and proper selection of fluids (premium quality synthetic gear lube in the tranny, Formula Plus or Spectro Primary in there, and a premium synthetic 20W50 in the engine)!

TQ

The noise is after the bike is in gear, as you let out the clutch, just before the clutch engauges, it makes a slight (only way I describe it as a clacking noise). Almost like its taking the slop, or slack, out of something.
Thanks Jonnierock

Does the clutch start to grab immediately when you let it out or does it hit the friction zone at the 1/2 way point of letting it out?

The noise is after the bike is in gear, as you let out the clutch, just before the clutch engauges, it makes a slight (only way I describe it as a clacking noise). Almost like its taking the slop, or slack, out of something.
Thanks Jonnierock

Hmm. Sounds like your chain may be loose. I think Glider has a "quick and dirty" procedure for that. See here:

Primary Chains - Harley Davidson Community

and

How To Adjust Primary Chain Video - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Hoping someone can help me. I've got an 2009 Roadglide. When engauging the clutch, it makes what I would call, a quick clacking noise, and sometimes when disengauging, the clutch it will also make this noise, does anyone else have this problem, or is it normal.

I had the same issue on my 09 UC Everytime I dis-engage the clutch once in gear I get a "Clancking metal sounding noise I just had my 1000 mile service and explained the noise to the Service writer and noted it on my work order. He assured me that it needed a clutch adjustment and the tech would take care of it. Well after picking up the blike 3 hrs later the noise was more evident I am not talking about putting bike into gear THIS NOISE IS WHILE I AM DIS-ENGAGING THE CLUTCH "AFTER" IT IS ALREADY IN GEAR This concerns me and I will try to contact Harley to see if there are any Service Bulletins out there regarding the 09's

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

---------- BuffaloBill edit/added post 58 minutes and 32 seconds later ----------

I had the same issue on my 09 UC Everytime I dis-engage the clutch once in gear I get a "Clancking metal sounding noise I just had my 1000 mile service and explained the noise to the Service writer and noted it on my work order. He assured me that it needed a clutch adjustment and the tech would take care of it. Well after picking up the blike 3 hrs later the noise was more evident I am not talking about putting bike into gear THIS NOISE IS WHILE I AM DIS-ENGAGING THE CLUTCH "AFTER" IT IS ALREADY IN GEAR This concerns me and I will try to contact Harley to see if there are any Service Bulletins out there regarding the 09's

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

I just spoke to Custoumer Service at Harley the representative stated that this is "NORMAL OPERATION" for the 09's The "ClanKing noise is due to "Lightned Clutch Springs" The 09 clutch release is smother operating and this causes the Clanking noise to be pronouced half way as you release the clutch
Hope this helps
Ride Safe
BuffaloBill

Last edited:
Bill,
Thanks a lot. Between your post and a couple of others, you hit it right on the head. Just the nature of the beast. I checked the primary chain, adjusted the clutch, and the clutch cable, so I know everything is spot on, and I still have that little engaugement noise once in awhile, which is OK, I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.
Thanks again Jonnierock

I'm no Harley Tech but it sounds to me like the compensator. My 07 does the same thing sometimes. The nut mat be loose . Take it in an let the dealer look at it.

I picked up my white gold pearl/pewter pearl '09 Ultra in September and have been dealing with this exact some problem ever since. It is currently in now for the third time. The dealer has adjusted my clutch three times, soaked my clutch plates in oil, checked the primary chain adjustment and went through my compensator....which did reveal a loose nut which, when tightened, helped some but did noe completely eliminate the problem. They are going to have a Motor Co. rep take a look at it next week while he's there. I've been riding since high school, which translates to 30 something years and have never had this noise on any bike I've had, including four different Harleys. It's aggravating, especially in stop and go traffic!!!! It does sound like there's too much freeplay in something.

Back