free website stats program 2008 Street Glide Won't Start-Help | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Street Glide Won't Start-Help

BigDaddyRod

My 2008 FLHX stalled out yesterday when I started to accelerate from a stop. I tried to start it, as I had traffic behind me, but no luck. Starter turning, no check engine light. After trucking it home, I checked everything I knew to check. No DTC codes showing, all fuses good and no loose or broken wires that I can see. I pulled a plug and I am getting spark. I can hear the fuel pump running like normal. The bike has almost 4,000 miles (recovering from major cancer surgery). I had a PC-III on it and tried removing that, but no luck. I have the hands-free security module installed and thought that may be the problem, although everything is working properly.

On another note, today (after the problem) I unplugged the security module. I don't have to remarry the module do I (if I get it running)? Same module and same ECM.

If anyone can tell me what the heck is wrong I would be in your debt.

I just checked it, with the cap off. I runs for about five seconds after I turn the ignition on and stops (same as always). What I hear is the sound out gas moving; sounds like a faucet running slowly, not a whoosing sound. It may be covered by the recall, I don't know when it was manufactured.

It says 12-07, but I didn't receive a notice and haven't changed addresses. Maybe I just missed the bad ones? The post you referenced didn't mention failure to start. Is this another symptom?

I have heard if it gets bad enough it wont start.. spray little carb cleaner in throttle body it start then its deff in fuel system

The holed fuel line was in the earlier bikes. The newer ones have a shorter line to eliminate this problem.
There has been however some bikes that came through without hose clamps on the fuel lines inside the tank and the line blew off. You shouldn't hear any fuel swooshing inside the tank if all is good.

O.K., the dealership picked-up my HOG today and the service manager has called once. They're a little baffled. I'll post the outcome when I get it. I wonder if it's the same as HarleyHarry's issue; check valve on tank quick disconnect stuck in closed position?

Fuel problem fixed! Got my bike back today. Sure enough, Glider was spot on once again and everyone else was real close. Ends up, the fuel line popped off the fuel pump. Tech says he's never seen it before. Glider, you saved me an additional hour charge for diagnostics since I recommended them checking the fuel line in the tank, based on your blog; I owe you a beverage of your choice!

For anyone else who may experience this problem, the main giveaway was a significant amount of fuel running down the fuel line inside the tank. I had about a half tank of fuel, removed the cap and pointed a flashlight into the tank opening while turning the ignition switch to ignition. I could see and hear a steady flow of fuel. When I got the bike back today, I did the same check and although I could see a little fuel running, I could not hear anything but the pump running and it was much less volume. I recommend folks take a look when their system is functioning properly so they have a frame of reference if they have a problem.

Many thanks Glider and others who provided potential causes for my problem!
:D

Back