free website stats program 2008 Softail Center Stand installation | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Softail Center Stand installation

MHenriques

Hello guys

I'm installing a HD Chrome Center Stand (98959-08) on my 2008 Softail Heritage Custom, but I am having difficulties getting all 4 screws aligned on the holes. Any hints?

Thanks

MH:newsmile037:

Are you trying to tighten down all of them as you go? If so just get them started then tighten them down.

Nope

I tried 2 ways:

a) add the 2 screws at the exhaust side (loose) and then tried to align the other 2 crews on the other side -> can't get the holes to align, even putting all the bike weight over the stand...

b) add one screw at each side (the screws farther from the rear wheel - still loose) and then tried to align the remaining 2 crews on each side -> can't get the holes to align, again even putting all the bike weight over the stand

It seems to me the stand itself is being limited by the bikes frame. Looking at the stand (see picture attached - red arrow) there is a part that can go either "under" or over the frame. The installation manual does not mention trying to fit the stand with this part "under" the frame, hence I'm assuming it will stay "over" the frame. Does anyone had the same issue installing this stand?

Thanks for your help.

Maurício

Attachments

• Center Stand.jpg
    Center Stand.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 178
I bought one of those for My 08 Deluxe and had the same problem with the installation. It does not line up with the Holes on the Frame. I think it is a Waste for this and do not like the way it looks on the Bike, Sticks out like a Sore Thumb. If anyone is interested I will Sell it for what I Paid for it $200.00
HD should have done better with this!

No successfull experience with original HD Chrome Center Stand? I guess I'll be forced to write off this purchase...

:bigsmiley15:

Go to the search tab at the top and type in center stand and check out other threads. As you noticed, though center stands are very desirable item and always had them on my metric bikes or ordered them equipped with one (my Katana one had to order it special and put it on myself). They are handy when on the road or doing routine service. Ever get on a dead end road with no way to turn the bike around?...been there, centerstand made life easy.

Harleys' seem to reserve them for only their big bore bagger models. Was not aware of one for the Softtails until recent, but the Heritage did not know of any...so I am sorry I do not have much to add...read post #13 on the link below...you are not alone and keep up your search...:D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/9486-careful_with_your_centerstand.html

I've searched for "Center Stand" on the forums, but most of the threads are related to Touring bikes. They do not apply to Softails, as the fixing method is different. My hope is that someone already faced the difficulty I'm facing when installing this center stand model on a Softail frame and solved id somehow...

MH

Back