free website stats program 2008 FLHX Starting Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 FLHX Starting Issues

TopThomas

OK Gang I am not hair less! 2 times now MY SG has refuesed to start, I have had the battery checked talked on line to one of those smart guys for 28 buck a message, Tested this and that getting perfect voltage to starter silenoid, 12.4v. here is the BIG Question, Some times is will start sometimes not. But always proper voltage. So I took the Back Cover off the silenoid, pushed in the plunger with finger tried to start.. I noticed inside the cover where the plunger protrudes that it has been rubbing and left some copper, pulled plunger out stuck back in returned cover, it started, shut off bike, tried to start but nothing, took hammer Handle (Wooden) tapped back of silenoid cover hit the button and it started. took cover off put a VERY LIGHT coat of lube on inside of cover, re-installed strted right up, shut off would not start again. Thoughts comments ideas?

Fist when you say no start I am assuming you are meaning no crank? First when trying to crank make shure Batt voltage stays above 9.6 volts use a volt meter to test. When you have no crank and you have batt voltage to the soleniod wire, and have proper voltage at batt cable on the starter then You need to check voltage drop on the ground side. To do that hook a digital volt meter to the neg batt cable and the other to the starter housing if you have .5 or less volts while cranking or trying to crank the ground is good. If you have the above readings it is time to replace the starter.

Correct does not the starter is not engaging, or cranking. The solenoid plunger is not getting pushed but it is getting 12.4v on the green wire. popped sol cover checked voltage there same. Tolerance differential between NEG Batt and Starter case is good as well less than .5volts. I have also checked the wiring from Battery to Starter and from starter to rest of bike, I also checked wiring from right handle bar switches all good, include in that inspection of both relays, and fuse block all good..What am I missing? I know it must be stairing me right in the face

So I take it that you want to find the component within the starter itself that is failing. Your not interested in just changing out the starter as just 1 single assembly?

Back