free website stats program 2008 FLHTCU Charging system problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 FLHTCU Charging system problem

Xander

2008 Ultra with 35k miles. Randomly the check engine light and battery warning lights illuminate and at the same time the voltmeter reads below 12v. This happens intermittently, sometimes while riding down the road and sometimes shortly after starting bike. The trouble lights stay on for only a couple minutes then go off. I can't detect any change in the engine's operation when this happens. WOW test passes. Static battery voltage is 13volts and with engine running voltage is just over 14.2v at 3000rpm. I haven't found any loose or corroded connections. I am looking for some posts that will show me how to conduct the appropriate tests for a 2008 FLHTCU to determine if the voltage regulator and/or stator are good or bad. Or tests to rule out other causes of this issue. I retrieved DTC P0562 for low battery voltage from the odometer screen.
Thanks

When was the battery replaced?

You could be having an intermittent short in the plates of the battery due to vibration causing odd voltage drops/irregularities.

You can bring your battery to an auto parts store for free usually, and they can do a simple load test of it and it might show something too.

Although, since it's a 2008, I'd be first in line to replace the battery before it died on me in the middle of Timbuktu.

When was the battery replaced?

You could be having an intermittent short in the plates of the battery due to vibration causing odd voltage drops/irregularities.

You can bring your battery to an auto parts store for free usually, and they can do a simple load test of it and it might show something too.

Although, since it's a 2008, I'd be first in line to replace the battery before it died on me in the middle of Timbuktu.

This is some good advice. The only test that has not been performed is a proper load test.... That should be at the top of the list.

Okay, excellent. Chances of a fairly new battery being bad is slim, but you never know. Can't hurt.

So, say if the battery did check out okay. I know you might've already done this... but The next area I recommend is the connections to the battery, and to the fuse block. Just give it a good look over, and tighten or clean anything that might be suspect. Can't hurt to double check.

Then at this point, I'd suspect the voltage regulator.

Check this post out:

2008 Ultra Classic Voltage Regulator - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

This fellow sounds like he had the same issues as yourself.

Okay, excellent. Chances of a fairly new battery being bad is slim, but you never know. Can't hurt.

So, say if the battery did check out okay. I know you might've already done this... but The next area I recommend is the connections to the battery, and to the fuse block. Just give it a good look over, and tighten or clean anything that might be suspect. Can't hurt to double check.

Then at this point, I'd suspect the voltage regulator.

Check this post out:

2008 Ultra Classic Voltage Regulator - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

This fellow sounds like he had the same issues as yourself.

Check out the link in the post above. Those were the symptoms I had before my VR gave up the ghost.

Cheers,

TQ

Back