free website stats program 2007 Sportster 883XL no spark to the plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Sportster 883XL no spark to the plugs

RedRover

Greetings, I have a question regarding a 2007 883XL sportster. Mint condition bike that sat in my father-in-laws garage for years. Changed the battery and the injection quick connect gaskets, replaced the fuel pump. It ran great then....wont start three days later with no spark to the spark plugs . Going to check the coil with a volt meter tomorrow after work. Bizarre that it was working then... just nothing. Engine turns over just fine with the starter, can feel the compression out the pipes, yet no spark. Is there a safety kill switch I've missed somewhere? No key fob, but it does have a engine control module. Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

Most obvious, check sparkplugs ,caps and wires. Then check if there,s power on both coils.
Normally when Run switch is off, the starter won,t turn over.
Good Luck.

I did the basic "screw driver in the plug wire" test to see if I could see spark when I brought it to the cylinder head and there was nothing. I will test the coil and wires.

Check your fuses, the ignition fuse if blown will allow the engine to turn over but no spark will get to the engine. If you have a owner's manual check the fuse section. On my 2007 1200 it is fuse #6.

Checked the fuses and they were fine, so I replaced the coil, plugs and wires. runs like a champ. Thanks Road King-1960 and gator508

Back