free website stats program 2007 Heritage 5th gear noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Heritage 5th gear noise

wigman

I have the 2007 96 cid with the 6 speed. When shifting to 5th gear, it has a noticably different sound than the other 5 gears. My "mechanically inclined mind" has me thinking bearing. It's got just over 10k. Probably due for a fluid change, but I doubt that will make it stop. Any suggestions? Is this normal?

wigman

When shifting to 5th gear, it has a noticably different sound than the other 5 gears.

** Once the shift is complete, how is the sound while Riding in 5th? Can you apply torque in 5th gear without hearing any strange noises. **

Have you owned the bike since New. What trans lube have you been using. Can you give more detail on the difference in sound from shifting into 5th than any other gear.

** Once the shift is complete, how is the sound while Riding in 5th? Can you apply torque in 5th gear without hearing any strange noises. **

Have you owned the bike since New. What trans lube have you been using. Can you give more detail on the difference in sound from shifting into 5th than any other gear.
I've had it since around 8k miles. From what I could tell from reciepts, previous owner kept up maintenance. The "smooth, whirring" sound is most audible as soon as clutch is released after shifting(40-50mph). Torque makes no change in noise except that either the noise goes away as speed increases or wind/road noise drowns it out.

I dont have the reiciepts with me to find out what lube previous owner may have put in it.

So the noise is not actually when you shift. It's "noise" while using 5th gear..

If the noise does not get worse when you apply Torque, it points to it NOT being a bearing. That is Good.

Realize that 5th gear is a spur cut gear (tooth design) and will whine by it's very nature. I think that may be what you are hearing. I would drop the oil in a clean glass baking tray (about a quart) and let it sit overnight. If there is anything going south in your tranny (which I really doubt) you will see it in the bottom of the tray and on the drain plug magnet.
That will tell you what you want to know.

So the noise is not actually when you shift. It's "noise" while using 5th gear..

If the noise does not get worse when you apply Torque, it points to it NOT being a bearing. That is Good.

Realize that 5th gear is a spur cut gear (tooth design) and will whine by it's very nature. I think that may be what you are hearing. I would drop the oil in a clean glass baking tray (about a quart) and let it sit overnight. If there is anything going south in your tranny (which I really doubt) you will see it in the bottom of the tray and on the drain plug magnet.
That will tell you what you want to know.
I appreciate the quick response and advice! You've taken away some of my worries. I'm fairly new to hte H-D world (about a year) and this is my first time on this forum. Loving it!

Shock proof heavy helps also:)

You are New and Only have 3 post, BUT you are a rider of MY thinking...

The Redline Shockproof Heavy by FAR is the Best IMO.... Some say Red is hard to find and it can be But look below and that is a good place to order it.

A lot of others here push Spectro but I'll stick with the Redline products..

I have an easy/good supplier that ships 7.99 a case Plus good discounts and will apply a BETTER discount IF you mention HDTimeline.com..
Ask Ken of "Racer Parts Wholesale".....800-397-7815

I asked him a while back IF they would give OUR members of HDT a little better deal and he said Yes IF they mention HDT to him (ken) when they order..

I have found NO better prices and savgs on the net.

check it out IF you are trying to find a source for Redline Products, They carry a full line and take advantage of the discounts...

If anybody buys from them, Let US know of prices and discounts they gave you,,, Tks.

signed....BUBBIE

Back