free website stats program 2007, 2008, 2009 Dynas | Harley Davidson Forums

2007, 2008, 2009 Dynas

Jimmy_k

I just joined the forum, after visiting for several months. Very impressed with all the knowledge in this forum. I'm looking to buy my first Harley when tax returns come hopefully in February. Previously was a metric rider way back when.

I was originally dead set on a Heritage, then on a Fatboy. I rented both at my local dealer, and then on a whim rented a 2009 Dyna Low Rider. I was amazed at how much more torque the Dyna had compared to the softails and how much better the handling was. So I'm definitely converted to Dynas, looking at either the Super Glide Custom or the Low Rider (used, since the LR is discontinued in 2010). Will be riding two-up a fair amount of the time.

I'm considering used, 2007 and newer to take advantage of the 96 ci engine.

Does anyone know if any issues with 2007 Dynas, since that's the first year with the 96 ci? Or any issues with 2008, 2009 model years? I do like the black coated engine on the 2010 Super Glide Customs, so may end up going that way (if I can talk the boss into that much money...).

Another question -- if I went older, say between 2003-2006 with the 88 ci engine, and did a stage one on that, how would that bike compare torque/hp wise to the newer stock Dynas with the 96 ci?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim. I think you would be very happy with any year dyna you buy, the 07 & later do have more torque and I would be happy with just a stage 1 where as a 88'' I would have to big bore it with cams to really make me happy. But still no 6 speed. I don't know of any real problems with the 07 & up and if there were they would be fixed by now. 2010 super glide would be my pick of the litter but I also really like the 2010 street bob too. If you can swing a monthly payment I would go new, the warranty is a real plus and I like the new 5th gear in the 6 speed trans. Get input from the rest of the forum, but when you sit on the right one you'll know. Good luck

Thanks for the help Hobbit and Chopper. Not really That much price difference betwn new and a couple years old, and then there's the warranty. And appreciate the heads up about the 1st year 6-speed (2006 for Dynas I think?).

I'll have to see how nice the Feds are at tax return time, not to mention negotiating with wife... One way or another I'll get there, and as new as possible.

Jimmy_k: IMO, now would be a good time to see if you can find a "new" 09 Dyna "carry-over" b/c the dealership needs to get them out-of-inventory (2011's are coming soon). Just a thought...:eam

Jimmy; Welcome to the forum. Here's my nickels worth. What you see as "not much diff. in price new/used" is asking price. Most people ask more than actual selling price. Check Ebay, "completed" listings for what bikes actually sell for. Dealer price, that's before they start tacking on, and they are experts at getting every $$ out of the sale. I don't know where you are, but at this time of year, the farther away riding weather is, the better for you to deal. The 96 inches and 6 speed are nice, but you won't be using 6th until 60mph, higher with 2 up.
Take your time, and do your homework. Get the best deal possible, cuz you'll need every extra dollar to support the new Mistress with goodies.

I love my '09 FXDC. With a stage 1 (TFi), it runs like a scalded cat. I am partial to the lighter engines too (as opposed to the blacked out). Doesn't seem to show the oil stains as bad as the blacked out, and looks a LOT better under LEDs at night (just my opinion).

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of good info in the self-help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Here is my two cents worth:

First, I do not know how old you are, and how old your rider will be. But in my case, I am fifty something and my wife (then girl friend) is almost two decades younger. Even so, my Dyna ('91) was NOT comfortable for her. Initially I had the Badlander seat on it which really has no rear seat to it. So I tried replacing that with a number of alternatives including a Mustang seat that was better. Full width to give her good support, but still numbing for any length of ride. I would change back to the Badlander when it was just me.

She was a good sport about it, but I could tell that if I wanted a full time riding buddy, I was gonna have to do something else. Hence, the Ultra Classic. Now she is very comfortable back there in the lounge chair and loves riding. And there is enough hauling capacity to take all the stuff she wants to bring when we go further than a day trip.

So all that is just to advise you to consider what you want to do with your bike. If you are gonna be touring, then you might want to consider a touring bike. If you are just bar-hopping, the Dynas make a good short trip alternative, and look good.

TQ

Huh, the lighter engines don't show the oil stains as much. Didn't know that. That may help in the negotiations -- the wife likes the lighter engines better than the black. The art of compromise....

I did discuss a 2009 FXDC with the dealer, he would not lower the price but said he could throw in $1,200 worth of accessories. I definitely will need a windshield and upgraded seats right off the bat. Then the stage one. That may be a good way to go. I'm guessing a sundowner seat upgrade would be about $600, and the windshield wouldn't be far off that either. That leaves the stage one for future reference. Another $1,200 for the Mistress? Yes, I do see the way this relationship is going.

I'm also gonna check into the ebay completed listings. I haven't bought anything over ebay before, but after looking for a while I'm fairly confident about doing it. Probably with one of the 'super sellers' or whatever they are that have a really good, long history of happy customers posted. I could probably do shipping from almost anywhere for $600 buck or so.

Much appreciated on all the input.

I can't help but chime in one more time here. I will not pretend that the Dyna model line is the best bike for putting hundreds of miles under the tires in one day. Sure, it can be done, but I'd be walking bow legged and hunched over for a week! My wife used to ride two-up with me all the time. She now has her own bike, and my Dyna is now the "solo-screamer" I've always wanted.

By all means, go test ride a touring bike. I am one of the few who just don't care for the "ride" of the larger bikes... I just doesn't feel like I'm riding a motorcycle but more of an "easy chair on wheels" (but that is only my opinion).

Go check out a Demo day at a local dealership, or just go try out a few one afternoon. You'll know when it's the right decision. It's the great thing about Harleys... so many different shapes and sizes!

Back