free website stats program 2007 1200L Synthetic? NOT an oil thread!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 1200L Synthetic? NOT an oil thread!!!!

JACKW1055

OK Im NOT trying to start an oil thread...REALLY!!!!

But, I have a 96 883 and according to the manual you can use synthetic in the primary along with the engine...I recently bought a 07 1200L and according to the owners manual AND the FSM it says to use Formula+ Trans oil in the primary. . Nowhere does it say that syn is ok to be used in the primary...but then again it doesnt say its ok to use it in the engine either which I KNOW is ok...

SOooo Here is my question. Is there any documentation or does anyone know if its OK to use syn in the primary like on my 96 or will that kill it.. OH according to the dealer, it is OK but Since they have TWICE sold me the wrong parts and they told me that the oil capacity was 4 quarts, I really have NO confidence in their ability to work on my bike.

OK Thanks all....

Jack

OK Im NOT trying to start an oil thread...REALLY!!!!

But, I have a 96 883 and according to the manual you can use synthetic in the primary along with the engine...I recently bought a 07 1200L and according to the owners manual AND the FSM it says to use Formula+ Trans oil in the primary. . Nowhere does it say that syn is ok to be used in the primary...but then again it doesnt say its ok to use it in the engine either which I KNOW is ok...

SOooo Here is my question. Is there any documentation or does anyone know if its OK to use syn in the primary like on my 96 or will that kill it.. OH according to the dealer, it is OK but Since they have TWICE sold me the wrong parts and they told me that the oil capacity was 4 quarts, I really have NO confidence in their ability to work on my bike.

OK Thanks all....

Jack

The Spectro Chain case oil is not synthetic

Al

The purpose of a synthetic oil is to give better lubrication between moving parts and also not suffer from thermal breakdown as dino oil does at higher temps. The oil film that is deposited furnishes a slicker surface than dino (non synthetic) oils do because of the molecular composition of the oil.
Based on this information, you can make a rational decision without the input of your dealer if you want to use synthetic oils in your clutch (primary) that rely on friction to operate properly.

Give me another 600 miles and I will post my opinion of Spectro primary lube over Amsoil 20/50 in my 08 1200c primary/trans.

20/50 by mobile1, amsoil,etc will not make your wet clutch slip, this is a myth.

I run synthetic in both cases. I run Valvoline V-power. There will be no problem running synthetic in almost anything that needs oil to lubricate unless the manufacturer emphatically states that it will void the warranty or something similar. In fact, HD offers a synthetic for it's bikes (Screamin Eagle) so that pretty much answers the synthetic question right there. HD only recommends using their oil in their bikes and I'm not sure how soooo many people try and twist that into "your warranty will be voided if you don't use HD oil". :bigsmiley20: Another one that I find particularly funny is the thinking that you have to use two different kinds of oil in the two (or three in the case of the big bikes) cases when HD offers I think what is called One in Three oil. You know, one oil for three cases. Not that that is what the OP was thinking but why would anybody not want the benefits of all the oil technology that is available today? Then again if you just have to have dino oil in yer HD, go for it man, that won't hurt it either!:D

NOT an oil thread!!!!

Myaby i wasnt as clear as I wanted to be...My concern is that in the 2007, the recommended oil seems to be a hypoid type gear oil.... and obviously the syn motoroil is thinner and has different characteristics...According to the dealer, there is no problem in using the harley Syn3 motor oil in the trans in an 07 just as in an earlier version (96)...It just seems a bit scary to use a thinner motor oil in a trans that has gear oil as the recommended fluid.

Re: NOT an oil thread!!!!

Myaby i wasnt as clear as I wanted to be...My concern is that in the 2007, the recommended oil seems to be a hypoid type gear oil.... and obviously the syn motoroil is thinner and has different characteristics...According to the dealer, there is no problem in using the harley Syn3 motor oil in the trans in an 07 just as in an earlier version (96)...It just seems a bit scary to use a thinner motor oil in a trans that has gear oil as the recommended fluid.

You are correct in your thinking, but remember the reason they want to put the syn 3 in the trans is to make it simple and they sell it too $$$$.
One oil in everything eliminates mistakes by the parts washing kid that does the change.

Gears need a different spec in the oil used because of the shearing of the gears. Using a thinner oil (engine oil) just will not cut it any more in the trans. I know of some instances that warranty work was done and they found blued shifter forks in the transmissions running syn3 oil. That comes from poor lubrication and heating of the parts above normal temps as a result of poor lubrication .
Your bike, your choice but I as well as others here have noting at all to benefit from suggesting certain oils to use other than steering you in the right direction. No profits or motives here, just proper suggestions on what to use. After that, it's your choice.:D

Just make sure to choose the proper lube for your sportster with only 2 oil cavities.

Back