free website stats program 2006 ultra vss sensor low??? | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 ultra vss sensor low???

IamRocky

Idol not right, dies at stop lights after warmed up. blinkers will not auto turn off and speedo not working . All signs of a vss from what I can find online and pulling code p0501 . I changed the sensor brand new from Harley . That was a fast 70$ but still no change any ideas???

Everything i've read points to the VSS but you said you changed it with no change.
I searched the forum for the same type of issue and changing the VSS fixed some issues but not all.
Read this, it may be a possibility.

03ultra45385Active Member

My 03 ultra had same issues. Speedo worked intermittent. At one point speedo would stop working when I had to turn handle bars to the left. Would work when I turned them to the right. This would also effect the turn signals and radio volume. All 3 wires to VSS were broken just in front of the steering neck. I believe that the best way to check all 3 would be to unplug the wires connector at the speedometer.Then check for continuity between all 3 wires, also turn forks all the way left and right checking all 3 at each position. If you find any open wires they will probably broken 3 to 8" from the metal P-strap at the neck of the frame. You will have to open up the vinyl sleeve that covers the wires coming from the frame where it makes its first bend, they will be Black #7( at the speedometer connector), Red #8, & White #9. As you find them and can seperate them from the group of wires flex them slowly along the exposed wires looking for a spot with a sharp bend in the insulation. This is where the wire is broken. Check all 3 wires. Broken wires should be spliced (soldered & heat shrink) several inches before and after spot where the actual break was found and with a slight amount of slack.

Back