free website stats program 2006 Street Bob vs. All the following Years | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Street Bob vs. All the following Years

Kansasjase

I'm still learning as much as I possibly can about the Street Bob as I'm convinced this is MY bike. I don't mind that the 2006 has a stock 88 engine instead of the 96 as all the following models do... hover I have noticed that the 2006 gear ratio is much lower than the later models. Is the 2006 Street Bob tranny gutless compared the the others or is it something I'm not likely to notice?

Hey there,

I can only say that the engine volume being smaller is actually an advantage over the later years: the 96" engines have the tendancy to overheat quicker when not enough air flow is available (e.g. moving slow). This can theoretically shorten the life span of the engine on later models (EFI only since the idle engine speed has to be kept higher rpm level.)

I have no proof of the following but I expect the ratios were derived from the increased low down power performance on the 96 model.

Take care

I have an '06 (I got that instead of getting a new '07 or '08) and the changes are mostly subtle through 07, 08 and '09 with '09 being the biggest cosmetic change. The gear ratio and engine size as you pointed out is the most I could find.

One thing you will notice, which I have more of an issue with is that quite a few of the upgrade parts I have looked at are not compatible with the '06 model (take a browse through the catalog, figure out what you want to do and make sure you can get the parts you want). One issue I ran into was the rear sprocket or sprocket cover, could not change it when I changed the rear wheel, which bugged me but still looked ok, I guess.

Hey there,

I can only say that the engine volume being smaller is actually an advantage over the later years: the 96" engines have the tendancy to overheat quicker when not enough air flow is available (e.g. moving slow). This can theoretically shorten the life span of the engine on later models (EFI only since the idle engine speed has to be kept higher rpm level.)

I have no proof of the following but I expect the ratios were derived from the increased low down power performance on the 96 model.

Take care

Interesting theory but absolutely no data or studies to support or prove it. These engines are pretty much bullet proof if maintenance schedule is adhered to with good quality synthetic oils to aid in the higher temps you mentioned. I would certainly NOT let this be a factor in buying a bike with a smaller engine.

Hey there,

Take care

The smaller engine size doesn't bother me much... in fact the fuel economy of the 88 looks pretty appealing. I just wondered if the transmission made the bike seem more "sluggish".

I think the 96" engines overheat because of how lean they run for EPA because they are newer, it really has nothing to do with displacement. That being said the tranny's have improved greatly in the last few years.

i have wanted a Dyna since they first came out and i got one of the 09's having ridden both the 06 and 09 i can say ride wise not much is different, the fork yokes are different yes i want a set of 06/07 yokes,the cosmetics are different yep, the motor yeo but remember the Dyna was the 1st 6spd.
the performance is different as well the 88 is a good motor with lots of tuning potential, the gear boxes are fine and a lot quieter than the 09's not that i can hear mine :D

I recommend to anyone considering buying a used 06 DYNA do a search on this,and other,forums,Google etc....."2006 DYNA inner primary bearing failure"...good luck....:rider

Also, being that the 2006 is a different beast.... Change the alternator rotor as soon as possible. It is a bolted together rotor as opposed to welded. It will fail as mine did and rip up your stator or worse. My rotor threw all 8 bolts and wrecked the stator. $1000 later. HD has gone to a welded rotor for the replacement on this year.

As far as gearing. The 2006 Dyna is I believe the only HD with the 88 inch and the 6 speed tranny. You can check the ratios of later 6 speeds, but I don't think much changed here.

I have a 07 and my buddy has a 06 both have a stage one done to them I can't tell much difference in the performance.

I have a 07 and my buddy has a 06 both have a stage one done to them I can't tell much difference in the performance.

How about the rotor issue that bigfoot mentioned? Has he ever had that issue?

Bigfoot, any idea of the cost to replace/update the rotor to avoid that problem?

Back