free website stats program 2006 FLSTCI rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 FLSTCI rattle

rich james

Sounds like someone is rattling a bag of quarters when bike is traveling 30 -35 mph. Sounds like it is coming from the rear. I can't find anything that is loose.

I have a 2008 FLSTC and just developed a clanking noise that I thought was coming from the rear wheel when traveling about 25 to 35 mph, but its currently at the HD Dealer, out of warranty and the called today to tell me it seems to be coming from the tranny.... something about the final/main bearing on the tranny..... it sounds $$$ they told me $300 to $1000.

In the good ol' days it would have been from your buddies putting rocks in your hubcaps. :bigsmiley20:

Sounds like someone is rattling a bag of quarters when bike is traveling 30 -35 mph. Sounds like it is coming from the rear. I can't find anything that is loose.

Rich, welcome to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. That noise usually means something in the exhaust system...as the engine is "floating" on mounts and the exhaust is held by clamps that allow some movement, otherwise you would have cracked pipes.

Could also have baffles that may have loosened. With the bike cool gently tap with your leather boot, the exhaust from the rear to the front. Also check for loose splash and heat shields with a flashlight under the bike with rubber mallet for loose hardware. :57:

Back