free website stats program 2006 Dyna steering stem nut | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Dyna steering stem nut

2006FXDCI

Anyone know what size the steering stem nut is on a 2006 Dyna, I think it's 1 1/2" ? Thanks for any info.

Anyone know what size the steering stem nut is on a 2006 Dyna, I think it's 1 1/2" ? Thanks for any info.

I am pretty sure you are right, but I will have to go out in the garage tomorrow and check if you haven't found out by then.

I saw the service bulletin and ordered the new thicker hardened washer, been getting a pretty good clunk out of mine lately especially when applying the front brake at stops. The directions with the new washer don't mention tightening the star nut under the triple tree, they say to remove steering nut and washer, discard washer and install new thicker washer and torque to 70-80 ft. lbs. the old torque spec was 45-50 in service manual. What do you use to tighten the star nut under the triple tree ? Looks like you could use a punch or drift. Has anyone performed this on their bike, if so did you just install the new washer and torque to new spec or did you also tighten up the star nut under the triple tree ? Thanks for any info

I saw the service bulletin and ordered the new thicker hardened washer, been getting a pretty good clunk out of mine lately especially when applying the front brake at stops. The directions with the new washer don't mention tightening the star nut under the triple tree, they say to remove steering nut and washer, discard washer and install new thicker washer and torque to 70-80 ft. lbs. the old torque spec was 45-50 in service manual. What do you use to tighten the star nut under the triple tree ? Looks like you could use a punch or drift. Has anyone performed this on their bike, if so did you just install the new washer and torque to new spec or did you also tighten up the star nut under the triple tree ? Thanks for any info

Not sure what the bulletin was about, it 'sounds' like you are talking about the locking washer (bend up tab) since you say the stem nut has to be removed. So it must be the washer directly underneath the stem nut.

In any case to adjust the fall away (at least on a Dyna) you have to remove the stem nut (or at least loosen it). Then loosen the top tree pinch bolts. Then turn the star nut with a blunt end screwdriver and rubber mallet (or whatever does the job) until your fall away is no more than 4" total (2" each side of center).

You do not torque the star nut. After the fall away is correct, you then torque the stem nut back on, and retorque the pinch bolts. Anytime there is a descrepency in torque values (and with bulletins and accompanying part papers that many times is the case) read all the print carefully. If you still are not sure which would be the best to go with call your dealer.

Fall away should be checked periodically for safety reasons, however just thought I would share these 2 posts from another forum (in reference to noise on bumps, not from front braking but could possibly be related).

---post 1
My bike makes a noise like that on hard bumps and my tank bolts are tight and my fall away has been checked on also. A friend says there's enough movement in the way the tank is mounted to cause that sound. Beats me, what causes it, but I have it too.

---post 2
Had the same noise for 3 months couldnt track it down, until one day I was washing it and trying to squeeze my hand between the front rocker box and the gastank and it moved, the bolts were snug but not enough to pinch the ears to the frame.

Yes it's a 1,1/2 inch nut. Loosen the stem nut, loosen the lower triple fork pinch bolts, adjust the star nut for the correct fall away, discard the lock washer, replace with the hardened washer, use antiseize on the stem and tighten the stem nut to 80ft/lbs. torque up the lower triple pinch bolts, job done.

Yes it's a 1,1/2 inch nut. Loosen the stem nut, loosen the lower triple fork pinch bolts, adjust the star nut for the correct fall away, discard the lock washer, replace with the hardened washer, use antiseize on the stem and tighten the stem nut to 80ft/lbs. torque up the lower triple pinch bolts, job done.

I guess technically it doesn't matter which tree you loosen (bottom or top) as long as the fork tubes can tavel whatever very small distance the star nut adjustments cause. I had told him the top tree pinch bolts.

M-1215 January 3, 2008
STEERING STEM NUT/WASHER
Purpose
This service bulletin is to inform dealers of updated parts and
service procedures to eliminate loss of clamp load on upper
steering stem nut. Normal warranty applies for service performed.
Motorcycles Affected
• 2006-2007 Dyna models
• 2008 and earlier FXDWG
• 2008 and earlier FX Softail models
• 2008 and earlier VRSC models
Required Dealer Action
If customer is experiencing any of the following conditions,
perform the service procedure for the appropriate model as
explained below.
• Looseness in front end
• Loss of clamp load on upper steering stem nut
• Front end clunk
Dyna and FX Softail Models
See list of affected motorcycles above. If any of the affected
Dyna or FX Softail motorcycles are experiencing front end
looseness, order kit number 45727-07. See STEERING wrong part number, I will post new one when I get it (and it is not 45727-08) there is a bulliten for the bulletin I am told. the part # could be 45740-07 ck with your dealer
HEAD WASHER KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET (-J04469) to
install the kit.
VRSC Models with Aluminum Stem
2007 and earlier VRSC models were shipped from the factory
with aluminum stems. If the lower triple tree was subsequently
replaced on these vehicles, check the service
records to determine if the new lower triple tree included any
of the following steel stems.
• 46771-02A
• 46860-06A
• 46752-01A
• 46788-06A
• 46781-06A
NOTE
All 2008 VRSC models have a lower triple tree assembly with
a steel stem.
For VRSC model motorcycles with an aluminum stem experiencing
looseness in the front end, order kit number 45736-
07. See STEERING STEM NUT KIT INSTRUCTION SHEET
(-J04468) to install the kit.
VRSC Models with Steel Stem
For 2008 VRSC models (and any earlier VRSC models with
a steel stem) with front end looseness, refer to the 2008
VRSC MODELS PARTS CATALOG for service parts, and see
2.34 STEERING HEAD in the 2008 VRSC MODELS SERVICE
MANUAL for service instructions.
VRSC models under normal warranty should utilize labor
code 2290 for 0.4 hour.
Here is the tech bulletin M 1215:s

So do you loosen top tree or bottom? Just got done taking everything apart, took off stem nut and loosened top tree, pulled it up and star nut was way loose. Tightened up star nut and dropped top tree down and retorqued it. Put on new washer and torqued stem nut to 75 ft. lbs. So is this correct or not? Thanks for any info.

Back