free website stats program 2005 XL Custom Loss of Electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 XL Custom Loss of Electrical

insacron

I've been lurking around for a while gleaning what info I can from this site, but now I think I need some help.

I've got a 2005 Sportster Custom which has a total loss of electrical now.

All last season the bike was having an issue starting, you'd hit the starter and it would crank for a split second, then there was a long pause, and then *bang* it would fire. The problem was slowly getting worse until I went to start it to take it to storage. It did the crank for a split second and then click all the electrics went off. No headlights, taillights, or gauges. Nothing works anymore. I've tried checking fuses and I didn't find any that were blown, but I'm also not the most knowledgeable when it comes to working on my own bike (hey at least I'm willing to admit it) but I'm also trying to learn and get better.

I should add that I added the turn signal relocation kit to the bike so I could use saddle bags. I've looked over my work three or four times and didn't find any pinched or striped wires but I'm hoping more info is helpful.

I'm guessing I'm facing two related but different issues? Lack of electrical being #1 and starter issues being #2.

I've been lurking around for a while gleaning what info I can from this site, but now I think I need some help.

I've got a 2005 Sportster Custom which has a total loss of electrical now.

All last season the bike was having an issue starting, you'd hit the starter and it would crank for a split second, then there was a long pause, and then *bang* it would fire. The problem was slowly getting worse until I went to start it to take it to storage. It did the crank for a split second and then click all the electrics went off. No headlights, taillights, or gauges. Nothing works anymore. I've tried checking fuses and I didn't find any that were blown, but I'm also not the most knowledgeable when it comes to working on my own bike (hey at least I'm willing to admit it) but I'm also trying to learn and get better.

I should add that I added the turn signal relocation kit to the bike so I could use saddle bags. I've looked over my work three or four times and didn't find any pinched or striped wires but I'm hoping more info is helpful.

I'm guessing I'm facing two related but different issues? Lack of electrical being #1 and starter issues being #2.

Always check the battery first, 12.7 volts fully charged clean and tight connections, with a test light or volt meter work thru each system to verify voltage and check for grounds, a good start:s

Often in a situation like this the battery cables are the problem area if the battery proves to be good
fully remove both cables clean both ends of the cables and their seating points and re fit the cables and try again

Brian

Brian has you covered, the first thing that costs nothing is scrape all the connections (both ends) of the primary red and black battery, ground and starter cables. Once all are shiny and clean, coat with dielectric grease to inhibit oxidation/corrosion, which can be obtained at the H-D dealer or automotive store. While the battery is out, have it load tested (must have >250 CCA Cold Cranking Amperes) or better. The H-D battery though a bit more expensive will serve you better over the long haul if a replacement is needed.

Battery, bike is an 05 may hold charge for a little while then go bad, sounds like a dead cell to me. Replace and don't go cheap batteies are one of they few things that the better quality the better off you will be. Good luck.

Keep in mind a bad battery can take its toll on the charging system

Thanks guys I'll try testing the battery. I'll be honest, I'm hoping that's not it, I just got a new HD battery summer of '09. I'm hoping it's not a every other year investment...

I have had it sitting on a trickle charger and have gotten nothing from it, but I'll take it out and have someone test it.

Thanks guys I'll try testing the battery. I'll be honest, I'm hoping that's not it, I just got a new HD battery summer of '09. I'm hoping it's not a every other year investment...

I have had it sitting on a trickle charger and have gotten nothing from it, but I'll take it out and have someone test it.

If it has been on a trickle charger it may have been cooked
For long term connection it needs to be on a battery tender which will switch off charging when the battery is full then moniter it and charge again when the charge drops
Overcharging is not good for a battery and can kill it fairly quickly

Brian

If it has been on a trickle charger it may have been cooked
For long term connection it needs to be on a battery tender which will switch off charging when the battery is full then moniter it and charge again when the charge drops
Overcharging is not good for a battery and can kill it fairly quickly

Brian

Ahh that would be me mistyping. It is a battery tender, not trickle charger.

HD part # 99863-01B

Back