free website stats program 2005 starter won't disengage?? | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 starter won't disengage??

BobbyJ295

I have a 2005 Roadking. When I key it on, hit the run switch, then hit the start button it fires up. But, there is another noise other than the regular engine noise, like a scrapping, whirring, like the starter is still engaged. I turned it right off. When I key it up again, then hit the run switch, it starts without hitting the start button. This will do this until I disconnect the battery. When reconnected I will need to key, run, start for the 1st next time,then until I pull the battery you don't need to hit the start button. I had the battery checked and its A-OK. Any thoughts?

After connecting battery back,disconnect the starter solenoid wire from the starter. It's the small wire on the starter. Hook a VOM or test light to it.There should be 0 volts there until you hit your start button. When pressed you will get 12Vdc or light,when start buton released the volts goes back to 0 or light will go out.If you still have light/volts then I'd say your starter relay is bad. If it goes back to O volts/light out then the starter solenoid is probably sticking. Hoe this helps.

Tourbox has you going in the right direction. This condition could also happen while riding. So hopefully it will be a easy fix..:s

This May be it also.

I think it to be the starter/clutch drive is sticking into the Start position on the jack shaft..On it's way out, and sticking there in start position.

When OUT on it's travel to the clutch-ring, Until it is completely back into the OFF position, it will run the starter and Full supply of electric is there as soon as the Jack Shaft is in use or STICKS.

I think it to be Sticking on the Jack-shaft...

If apart (primary outer cover) Careful as it does engage the starter IF it is out on the Jack-Shaft..

Jack used to fix his starter,:newsmile105:

NOW you know How "Three Fingered Jack" got his Name. 3 fingers.:wall

signed....BUBBIE

Check and clean the contacts on the start button first. Typically when the starter stays on like this it is the solenoid contacts having flash over spots(CARBON) tracking, this can and will cause the starter to engage on its own, causing damage to the ring gear and potential extra heat on the positive battery cable, this is the worse case scenario

I have seen this happen on mowers, bikes etc. and every time I have seen this, it was a stuck solenoid.

This May be it also.

I think it to be the starter/clutch drive is sticking into the Start position on the jack shaft..On it's way out, and sticking there in start position.

When OUT on it's travel to the clutch-ring, Until it is completely back into the OFF position, it will run the starter and Full supply of electric is there as soon as the Jack Shaft is in use or STICKS.

I think it to be Sticking on the Jack-shaft...

If apart (primary outer cover) Careful as it does engage the starter IF it is out on the Jack-Shaft..

Jack used to fix his starter,:newsmile105:

NOW you know How "Three Fingered Jack" got his Name. 3 fingers.:wall

signed....BUBBIE
Bubbie, I still have all my fingers signed....Capital Jack(RETIRED):p

. . . . . When I key it up again, then hit the run switch, it starts without hitting the start button. This will do this until I disconnect the battery. . . . . .

. . . . . . . Typically when the starter stays on like this it is the solenoid contacts having flash over spots(CARBON) tracking, this can and will cause the starter to engage on its own, . . . . . .

I would be interested to hear how you come out on this BobbyJ. To me it seems like it's either got to be the scenario Jack pointed out OR the relay itself is sticking.

Because simply turning on the key does not activate the relay coil switch. It simply activates the feed going to the start button switch. Unless the coil switch is shorted or stuck or Jack's carbon tracking is involved, there's no power going to the starter unless you push the start button.

Because simply turning on the key does not activate the relay coil switch. It simply activates the feed going to the start button switch. Unless the coil switch is shorted or stuck or Jack's carbon tracking is involved, there's no power going to the starter unless you push the start button.

Well I must be wrong on this newer bike????? Could I be thinking about my 97 EVO?

Doesn't the bikes starter Have power IF the jack shaft and Clutch drive is Out into the working position?

Sliding it out by hand when the battery is connected allows Power to the starter so it completes it's cycle?

You know what I mean, clutch drive Stuck away from where it seats for off.??

Correct my thinking here please... By someone who Knows and is Not guessing please.

Must be My cowb-webs working in here.:newsmile105:

signed....BUBBIE

Back