free website stats program 2005 sportster new battery nothing happends now please help | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 sportster new battery nothing happends now please help

jejudgeiv

I put a new battery in my bike yesterday and now when you try and start it nothing happends no lights or anything. its just like its shuts off and your doing nothing to it. Was fine until i changed it to this new HD battery. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank so much.

Well, I'll start with the obvious:

1. Are you sure you hooked up the cables properly? POS to POS and NEG to NEG?

2. Did you check all your fuses?

3. Are you positive the battery's good?

Well, I'll start with the obvious:

1. Are you sure you hooked up the cables properly? POS to POS and NEG to NEG?

2. Did you check all your fuses?

3. Are you positive the battery's good?

adder - 4. Did you make sure BOTH ends of EACH battery cable was tight?

I put a new battery in my bike yesterday and now when you try and start it nothing happends no lights or anything. its just like its shuts off and your doing nothing to it. Was fine until i changed it to this new HD battery. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank so much.

You need to check the battery and make sure it has 12.7V. Have you checked to make sure the run/off switch is in the run position? When you hooked the battery up did you hook the neg cable up last?

Checked everything fuses and all batter has 12.9v we have looked at everything I guess i am just going to bring it a mechanic and see what they say. Weather is getting better need to start riding!! THanks for you time!

Curious what the reason was for changing the battery in the first place? Was this problem already there and new battery has not solved the problem or problem started after the new battery was installed?

Curious what the reason was for changing the battery in the first place? Was this problem already there and new battery has not solved the problem or problem started after the new battery was installed?

The Battery that was in the Bike when I bought it went bad. It was 5 years old and I had to keep charging it finally a charge wouldnt do anything to it. So I just bout a new battery

I would recheck all your connections, fuses, etc. More than likely something you are simply overlooking.

With the battery hooked up use your meter while touching the positive battery post and a groung on the bike (not the battery). Then do just the opposite and touch the battery ground and the positive post at the starter and see if you have the same readings as when touching the battery across the terminals. Also check you fuses with either a meter or test light, just eyeballing them can be misleading. Be thourough and you will find the problem.

When you do get it running be sure to thouroughly check the charging system.

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

I called the Harley dealer and they said the alarm is making it not start so i am going to by a new battery for the key chain and see if that works and they said disconnect the alarm there has been issues with them i guess. So hopefully that will be it. BUt I doubt it

Back