free website stats program 2005 Sportster Maintenance | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Sportster Maintenance

josife

I ride a 2005 Sportster XL1200C that I bought in February. I've been riden for about 4 mos now and I think it's time to do some maintenance on my Sporty. So I am looking for some info on general maintenance so if any one can direct me to the correct forum or website it would be appreciated....

josife

You don't say what miles are on the bike or what maintenance you want to do. Four months and how many miles, do you want to change oil or fluids? Most people change the oil and filter between 2500-5000 miles and I would suggest using synthetic oils like Mobil1 V Twin. It keeps the operating temps down about 10* when riding and provides better lubrication than dino oils do.Do you have a factory service manual? It's a very important tool to have if you are doing your own work.

Keep in mind too that your sportster has a different configuration than the big twins that have 3 different oil compartments, Trans, engine and primary oils. Yours only has two so it is important to use the proper oils in it.Your owners manual will give you some info on this.

You can also find a lot of info regarding sportsters using google.com. It will bring up a bunch of pages for you to review.

I think you will get some good responses here if you give us some more information on what you wish to do.

Last edited:
Glider thanks for the info and the maint schedule. I am going to pick up a manuel this week since the original owner lost his....

Back