free website stats program 2005 Road King Electrical Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Road King Electrical Problem

joebike

Hi, I recently started riding and have inherited a 2005 Road King. I went to get it out of the garage and found that it will not start. Being an electrician I got out my multimeter and tested everything. These are my findings: the lights on the front and rear fender come on, the headlight does not, the speedometer lights up and fuel pump hums, the light indicators do not work(no neutral light or oil lights), it will not even try to start up. The fuse block has no power to the ign or headlight block. I went to the Harley dealer and got new relays, one under seat and two on fuse block, replaced them both and tested the battery with thier cca tester and it passed. I also removed instrument panel on gas tank and made sure i was getting voltage to the ingition switch and the acc side, they both are getting voltage.I am to the point where I need a wiring diagram to be able to just start tracing them from batt to end point. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Send me your email addy in a PM. I have something that may help.

After you replaced the relays did you have instrument lights(oil & neutral),head light & tail light? You stated you had voltage at the switch but did the switch test good?
tourbox

No I had no change in any of my previous problems. The switch had 3 wires, 1 hot coming in middle and acc wire on one side run wire on other, when I switched it the voltage went out the corresponding wire. I have presented this problem to my local service department and they don't have any suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Sounds like the Power Relay may not picking when the ignition key is turned to the ignition position. See attachment.
Using a meter, see if the "instrument fuse" goes to 12 volts when the key is turned to the ignition position.
I assume the bike is fuel injected and you checked all the fuses and they are good..
You also said the bike won't start but does it crank?

Attachments

• Wiring.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 52
OK I found the problem! The ignition swich had a bad contact and the spring inside the tumbler was rusted really bad. After removing it and cleaning it is working great and I really appreciate all of your guys help. Just glad to be on the road again!

Back