free website stats program 2005 idles high | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 idles high

ducman38

I have a 2005 ultra that is idling 1500 to 1700 rpm's it has a code P0505 anyone have any ideas how to trouble shoot this

The P0505 just says that the IAC motor was not able to correct the idle to within 200 RPM of set point value and the IAC motor was pegged for greater than 5 seconds.

Anything that would cause a high idle (vacuum leak) can cause a P0505. I know on my 2009, if I place my ear next to the air cleaner and boot the ignition for 10 seconds (with kill switch ON, engine OFF), when I turn the key to off, I can hear the IAC motor step and "Park" itself.

Do you hear that happen?

Make sure your IAC plug is connected at the throttle body properly. It is a 4 connector waterproof plug that connects on the right side of the injector body at the top of the air intake.

I checked the IAC motor and it is plugged in and I can hear it run, I even took it out of the bike and keyed on the bike it moves in and out. I will check for a vacum leak, what is the best way to do this

There are lots of ways to do it but 1 of my favorites is to take an un-lit propane or Map torch and go hunting. I take the nozzle off and push on a 3 foot piece of hose to make it easier. I also heard using a spray can of WD40 with the plastic 8" tube works well also.

If you find your problem it would be great if you post results.

you will need a scanalizer to change the idle (and check for codes too),we will hook our scanalizer up & check folks for free,cant say about others

I used propane and then went to WD40 went all around intake area did not notice any change in rpm, what do i do next?
I did stop by the local Harley dealer and he hooked up his scan tool and told me about the P0505 code, but he can not get the bike in for 3 weeks to look at it.

My 04 did the samething, the bottom ear on the throttle body broke and it was sucking air between the throttle body and the intake. Try lifting the air cleaner up and down while looking at the back of the throttle body or with it running to see if the RPM's change.

Back