free website stats program 2005 FLHRp surges when stopping. | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 FLHRp surges when stopping.

I have a 2005 police road king and occaisionally it will surge when I'm comming to a stop and down shifting to first from second. It's pretty noticable and kinda' un-nerveing to have your bike try to jump out in the intersection. When it happens, it's when I down shift from second to first, the clutch lever is completely pulled in to the grip and the engine is at idle. As I move the shifter across neutral to first, the bike suddenly pulls hard forward and the engine chugs like a governer is kicking in. It doesn't do it very often, but it has me baffled. Any Ideas or experience would be appriciated. It only lasts about a second, but still...............

My 2010 Sportster will surge after being refueled at a gas station. I've checked many times and the throttle grip is always completely closed.

In my case I have a theory. There is a yellow fuel warning light that is electronically triggered. When the tank is full and the system must "re-set," I think that sometimes this triggers a surge. Mine doesn't do it all of the time, either.

Does your surge stem from the exact circumstances at the same time while minor changes in the condition result in a different outcome?

Would this also include late model EFI engines? No matter how the fuel is added there will be some aspect of debris simply from the burning process. Burning anything.

If so, my individual bike runs great all of the time except for this singular start up issue. Is there an additive you'd recommend as a routine preventative?

Marvel Mystery oil or Sea foam added to the tank should help. Any engine would benefit from this in the tank.

My 2010 Sportster will surge after being refueled at a gas station.

I have found that even very short engine off periods will re-engage "warm up enrichment" from the ECM. Unlike a water cooled cage engine that will retain it's heat for a long period of time, the temp of these engines will drop fast when turned off. I have found that even after just 5 minutes of being off, the ECM will engage "choke" once again (fuel enrichment & idle up RPM) for a short period of time after a restart.

You can easily see this happen using a SEST in live data mode. I was very surprised when I saw this for the first time.

This may be the "surge" or idle up RPM you are seeing after a hot restart, especially if the engine off period is at least 5 minutes or longer.

Back