free website stats program 2005 Dyna cold start noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Dyna cold start noise

slayer

My Dyna with 13,000 kms on it has started to make a rattling noise that seems to be coming from inside the front area of the trans cover. This is when it is in neutral and cold. It seems to slowly stop rattling as the engine warms up. Any ideas?

Glider, it was serviced about 2000 KMS ago when I bought it. I thought they would have checked it out before I bought it but probably not. I am going to check the tension tomorrow I had to go buy the gasket first. I was wondering if it was the chain being loose enough to be vibrating around, other than that I don't really know what is in there and I haven't checked anything else out. Thanks.

I don't think your model year has the auto-tensioner set-up on the primary chain ('06?). So if you have the inspection window in the primary cover, open that and check. If it needs adjustment, loosen it first so you can lift the chain to see what condition the shoe is in, then adjust it as specified in the book.

You may want to change out the fluid in the primary. I suggest HD's Formula + or Spectro Primary Chaincase lube.

If the chain was not loose, and changing out the fluid DOES NOT solve the problem, you may have to pop off the primary cover to check the torque on the compensator nut. Do this soon, as the consequences to letting it back off any amount are expensive.

TQ

The 06 isn't self adjusting. You'll see the inspection/adjustment window with the bolts in it which will confirm this. The auto adjust models on the newer bikes don't have the window, it's just a blank indentation there with no bolts.

Ok! I got it! The chain was loose. Tightened it up and presto...no noise!
It was a little tricky to get the tensioner to the right spot though but I got it. No auto tensioner. Thanks glider. TQ, I will change the oil, good idea but I was in a need for a ride.

Back