free website stats program 2004 utra trans | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 utra trans

Antony

Have 04 trike recently blown a belt that was in like new shape. Tore down to replace belt found that the swingarm mount on the trans casting was cracked big time which cause the belt to blow. It seems that not only trikes are having this problem. Does any one know if there is a kit to help to suport the trans mount? Ive also heard two wheel bike breaking this casting. I wonder if Halely Davidson is correcting this expensive problem. Please comment. Tony

What kind of trike? What kit is on it?

Have 04 trike recently blown a belt that was in like new shape. Tore down to replace belt found that the swingarm mount on the trans casting was cracked big time which cause the belt to blow. It seems that not only trikes are having this problem. Does any one know if there is a kit to help to suport the trans mount? Ive also heard two wheel bike breaking this casting. I wonder if Halely Davidson is correcting this expensive problem. Please comment. Tony

. . . found that the swingarm mount on the trans casting was cracked big time . . . Please comment. Tony

I'm confused here, thought the swingarm pivoted on the frame for the Tourers. It was only the Dyna series that had the swingarm mounts on the tranny.

Did I miss something? Photos?

On the touring model. The swing arm does pivot on the frame and also has a long bolt that passes through where the swing arm and frame meet. This bolt passes through the back side of the tranny casing between the the swing arm and frame. The reason I was asking what kit. A friend has a road glide that he built into a trike with I think a road smith trike kit. His tranny mount also cracked at the same location. Im wondering how many other built trikes out there are having this problem. Im wondering if this problem is only been found on the 6 speed transmissions. Ive a 5 speed on mine. Ill have to examine mine now to be sure.

zoood

I'm confused here, thought the swingarm pivoted on the frame for the Tourers. It was only the Dyna series that had the swingarm mounts on the tranny.

Did I miss something? Photos?

My transmission ear split and crack almost the complete length of it. I was missing one swing arm shaft bolt when my trikes handling started to go. The first thing I thought was a loose belt, which I did have. But as I tightened and adjust the trike handling got worse. I found the missing nut on my swing arm shaft which allowed the lateral movement that broke my swing arm ear on my transmission case

One thing I now know I have to check regularly is the tightness of my swing arm shaft nuts and inspect the rear rubber isolator bushings on your swing arm. The stock rear isolator bushing wears out on trike much faster then a 2 wheel bike. The lateral stress on the rear swing arm is much greater due to the added weight and forces put on those bushings

I had changed out to Glide Pro polyurethane bushings, they work much better then the stock HD bushing. I also had added a rear stabilizer from Progressive Suspension to lower the lateral stress on my rear

On the touring model. The swing arm does pivot on the frame and also has a long bolt that passes through where the swing arm and frame meet. This bolt passes through the back side of the tranny casing between the the swing arm and frame. The reason I was asking what kit. A friend has a road glide that he built into a trike with I think a road smith trike kit. His tranny mount also cracked at the same location. Im wondering how many other built trikes out there are having this problem. Im wondering if this problem is only been found on the 6 speed transmissions. Ive a 5 speed on mine. Ill have to examine mine now to be sure.

zoood

The swing arm actually pivots up and down on the transmission case mount. The isolators are there to keep the vibration from the drive train and attach the back end of the drivetrain to the rear part of the main frame

Attachments

• 2012-05-22_12-35-38_760.jpg
    2012-05-22_12-35-38_760.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 2012-05-22_12-31-20_498.jpg
    2012-05-22_12-31-20_498.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
FLTR2008TRIKE is your transmission a 6 or a 5 speed? If its a 6 speed.Im wondering if the newer case castings are weaker than the original 5 speed case castings.

Its a 6 speed. Casting weakness is always a possibility, but with how mine is broke Im pretty certain it was due to the swing arm shaft being loose.

Just how does one check the swing arm bushings or for looseness of the shaft?
Is there a way without taking it all apart?

zoood

Its a 6 speed. Casting weakness is always a possibility, but with how mine is broke Im pretty certain it was due to the swing arm shaft being loose.

Just how does one check the swing arm bushings or for looseness of the shaft?
Is there a way without taking it all apart?

zoood

Unfortunately there is no other way but removing the swing arm bushings to do a visual inspection. The bushing is molded with shims and you have to look at the side of each bushing for possible cracks to know if the bushing is worn and failing. If you have a Harley that is triked and older then 2002 then there would be cleve blocks you possibly have to inspect. 2003 and newer have a hiem bearing setup that came in the stock swing arm. Again you would have remove the swing arm assembly to visually inspect them.

With my Motortrike setup the swing arm assembly uses the stock heim bearings that were removed from my original HD swingarm as the trike was installed. One of the heim bearings ( which happens to be on the same side of the trans case that split ) was very stiff. No fluid movement as it should be. So Im in the proccess of replacing both heim bearings while Im waiting for my new transmission.

Back