free website stats program 2004 RK FLHRS carb problems | Harley Davidson Forums

2004 RK FLHRS carb problems

hawkeye01

Hi guys. A few weeks ago I bought my first Harley-Davidson. I Think it had been setting for a while because the sticker on the tag was 2007. I thought it ran rough when I test road it but bought it anyway. I ran a can of Sea-Foam in the first tank and it helped. I checked the air filter and it was black as coal and the outer metal was very rusty. I wire brushed it and found a Harley emblem on it. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a K&N stage one screaming eagle filter. The bike has S-E mufflers on it. I bought a new filter and that also helped alot. It has what I call a "burp". It happens sometimes when I start out (engine warm) and also when just going steady down the road. I took it to the dealer and thay cleaned the carb and verified that it had the correct jets instaled but it still does it. A frend of mine that has had several Harleys says this is how a H-D carb bike runs. I run premium gas (no ethenal). Any of you carb experts have an idea of what this could be???

Thanks

I called the dealer and they said it has a 48 jet instaled. I have not confirmed that yet. I did take a mirror and can see the brass slotted adjustment screw in the small tower that sticks stright down on the bottom of the carb. I will check it as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the help!!!

The #48 jet is a bit rich for the application. A #46 low jet would be better.

You may want to adjust the idle mixture too.
Set idle speed to proper r.p.m. by adjusting the IDLE SPEED SCREW. Turn the IDLE MIXTURE SCREW to achieve the highest steady speed and best response. After adjustment has been made reset the IDLE SPEED SCREW to the proper r.p.m.

ok. I took out the low jet and it is a 48. I put in a 46. Do I need to do the washer shims that I have read about on the needle jet???I looked for some #4 flat washers but could not find any. Man that is a small washer. The smallest Ace Hardware had was #6. I noticed that the 2 vent hoses that go into the filter base are very bad and will try to find them tomorrow. Thank you for allowing us to use your knowledge on these things.

Steve

You can try it without the washers and see if you get a smooth transition between the metering circuits. The 2 washers just bring in the mid-range fuel a bit earlier.

Glad to help you out.

Check out the washers you get in the pop rivet replacement packs. :s

I have some stainless pop rivets packs around here somewhere. I will try to find them tomorrow.

Thanks again and I will let you know after the ride...

Dont forget to check the fuel tank vent check valve. Take it slow and check your mileage as you go. Dont get in a hurry, minor adjustments are all that is needed. Been here before.....

Bodeen

I just rode the bike and the burp seams to be gone. You roll on the throttle and it just eats it up. I was in third at about 60 when a car pulled out. When I got off the gas it backfires thru the mufflers. It also does it when I just rev it up high and let off. But seams to run better overall. is the tank vent check valve in the cap??

Thanks guys.

Back