free website stats program 2003 XL1200C acceleration problems and oil leak. | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 XL1200C acceleration problems and oil leak.

1970Dex

-2003 XL1200C- I just came back from a weekend run through the desert (Los Angeles, CA to Laughlin, NV). Over the past 4 days I put about 750 miles on my bike. About 30 miles from home my bike started acting up. When I hit 75 mph it does not want to accelerate any more. It becomes very hesitant. I kept it under 70mph the rest of the way and it made it home. This also happens when I accelerate between 1st and 2nd gear. In addition to this when my ride was over I noticed that has started leaking oil. Over night the oil leaked to the driveway, The spot is about 2 minutes in diameter.

Is your oil overfull, puking out of the air cleaner?

You didn't mention if it was carb or fuel injected. If carbed, it could be a dirty jet or low float height starving the motor for fuel under higher rpm's. If injected, i can't really offer any advice. As for the oil leak, inspecting where it could be coming from is where i'd start. I would use a degreaser and wash the bike well, and then run it for short periods and see where it begins to originate from. Perhap it'll point towards a leaking seal or gasket. Keep us posted if you find the solution.
WAP.gif

If loosing power at higher revs it may be that you are not getting enough fuel or air first thing to check is the air cleaner if it has a stock air box it may need opening up a wee bit
Strip clean and inspect the carb
Oil migrates on a bike and will usually drip from the lowest point so as has been mentioned a good clean up of oil off the bike and short rides till you find the source

Brian

All these older Sport bikes are carbed.

The 07 model year had ALL HD's injected.

Dirty main flow OR a ruptured Diaphragm would do this at speed.
Good to try the suggested cap loose on tank.

The flow out the tank+ try to put it on reserve and see IF that makes a difference when trying to open it up on RPM.

If it does resume power, Blockage is in the tank/valve area.

signed....BUBBIE

Back