free website stats program 2003 Road King, high pitch noise | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King, high pitch noise

Dakota-Mark

Went riding yesterday and noticed a high pitch squeal or squeak in the front when I let off the throttle. Only happens at low speeds, and it souds like it is comming from the front of the motor or front of the gas tank area. Any ideas on what it may be?.
I did just get done doing a total rebuild on the bags, fenders, rims,tires, apes and a new gas tank. But I did not touch the engine. Did have to remove the right exhaust to add new cluth cable, and progressive touring link. Exhaust seems tight, don't notice a exhaust leak, but I did not replace the donut, was told I did not need to. (hopefully a reliable source)
Can't seem to find the noise, hopefully someone might have had the same problem. i'll add pics of the bike if it helps. Going riding again today, so I may not respond untill tonight
Any help would be great! Thanks for your time. Mark

Attachments

• april 2009 012[2].JPG
    april 2009 012[2].JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 39
  • april 2009 026.3.jpg
    april 2009 026.3.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 32
  • april 2009 025.jpg
    april 2009 025.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 34
Just got back, had the same noise today. Thanks for the response, checked the drive belt, I have 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of play. Is that too lose? Was told 5/8 is about correct. What do you think? Thanks, Mark

Good question Glider, I lined it up with 2 4 foot flourensent tubes the best I could. Lined up with the front wheel. Also measured back from the frame on both sides to get the same placement. I marked the adjustment spacer on the rear wheel to make sure it was in the same place, but I added a 18" rear, but center should still be center.... right? Could this be my problem?

The size of the wheel shouldn't effect alignment if the alignment was done properly. The noise you are hearing could be the belt rubbing the pulley.

You'll probably see rub marks in any event. Take a look at the edge of the belt for excessive wear showing.

A squealing noise from the front of the engine always makes me worry about the compensator nut. Get a stethoscope or a large screw driver to your ear and listen all around the front of the primary cover to see if that is the noise you are hearing. If not, phew!! You can move onto less worrisome stuff.

TQ

Last edited:
Back