free website stats program 2003 Road King Fuel Mileage? | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Road King Fuel Mileage?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
Bought a 2003 Road King with ~8K miles on it. The previous owner had put Rinehart T/D's, A/N Big Sucker, and a V&H Carb Kit (I have the Receipts).
I got it and had to run it for a long time with fuel enricher on and even when good and warm it would still puke back through the carb from an idle to first throttle response. I figured it was lean. So I opened the idle mixture screw probably 1/2 to 3/4 more open (2-3/4 turns total). Problem solved. Plugs look good. Runs good. I'm only getting 144 miles per tank. About 31 miles per gallon. Mostly around town and 50-60 miles of highway.
My question is what does the V&H Carb kit entail? I know it obviously has a rejet kit and a drill bit to get to the idle mixture, etc. Could this kit have been installed such that it would cause a decrease in fuel mileage.
I know I should be happy, the bike runs like a striped (EDIT) ape. It just seems that everybody and their brother is getting much better fuel mileage than I am with far more mods. than I.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bodeen

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back