free website stats program 2003 FLHTC speedo jumping around and then loosing power. | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 FLHTC speedo jumping around and then loosing power.

George G

I'm having an issue that keeps happening after riding for quite a while (when the bike is hot). The speedo needle will start jumping around and the bike will loose power. If coming to stop, it will typically stall when the clutch is pulled.

Bike only has about 34K miles on it.

Any thoughts?

Could be something as simple , as corroded /loose connections on the batterie !. Take them off , and clean the contacts.
Also check the connector on the ignitionswitch , could have come loose. If the bike has a clutch-switch on the controls , this could cause the stalling of the bike !.
Good luck !!!

Don't disagree with George G but would add that the issue could be caused by a failing main circuit breaker and/or a failing regulator. The early MCBs would fail from over heating; everything shuts down because the metal strip inside the breaker over heats and breaks contact. After a brief period of cooling down, the metal strip makes contact and all is good again until the MCB over heats again. The OP's problem doesn't seem to follow that sequence but since the MoCo upgraded the 30A MCB with a 40A Maxi Fuse, not a breaker, in later models, maybe '06 or '07, I would upgrade and replace the MCB jsut because; not expensive. That might not solve the problem but a good idea anyway. I would also check the regulator; they are pricey, so bench testing is in order.

The speedo jumping around and the stall, IMHO anyway, indicates low voltage. A thorough check of the charging system would be where I would start trying to track down the source of the problem. If the OP doesn't have the OEM service manual, he should get one, get out the multimeter and start running through the wiring diagram in the service manual.

Don't disagree with George G but would add that the issue could be caused by a failing main circuit breaker and/or a failing regulator. The early MCBs would fail from over heating; everything shuts down because the metal strip inside the breaker over heats and breaks contact. After a brief period of cooling down, the metal strip makes contact and all is good again until the MCB over heats again. The OP's problem doesn't seem to follow that sequence but since the MoCo upgraded the 30A MCB with a 40A Maxi Fuse, not a breaker, in later models, maybe '06 or '07, I would upgrade and replace the MCB jsut because; not expensive. That might not solve the problem but a good idea anyway. I would also check the regulator; they are pricey, so bench testing is in order.

The speedo jumping around and the stall, IMHO anyway, indicates low voltage. A thorough check of the charging system would be where I would start trying to track down the source of the problem. If the OP doesn't have the OEM service manual, he should get one, get out the multimeter and start running through the wiring diagram in the service manual.

Thanks for the input doIt and RoadKing-1960.

My mechanic did just replace the main fuse and they've checked wiring issues. But clearly more work needs to be done to figure this out.

Took the bike out yesterday to narrow down a sequence of events, and here is what happens:

1. When cold (it's 73 outside when I took it for a ride), bike starts and rides perfect for about 30-45 minutes (until fully hot). Suddenly speedo and odometer stops working, still runs fine for another 10 minutes or so...

2. Then motor starts stalling everytime when pulling the clutch in coming to stoplight, or stop sign. Re-starts and idles fine though.

3. A little more riding, and it starts exhaust-popping like crazy, whenever you roll-off throttle, and seems to misfire and cuts in and out, and at times it will barely run at all, no matter what you do with throttle.

Is it fuel starvation? Maybe. It just seems to me as more like an ignition/electrical problem, but I really don't know.

It's weird, as when it isn't acting up, it runs perfectly and everything works as it should. This is only happening after it's been ridden for quite a while, and it has gotten hot running in stop and go traffic.

Would a bad ECM generate these type of issues?

Electrical issues are not my long suit but I doubt the ECM is the offender. Two possibilities, at least for me.
1. A low voltage issue which could cause a drop in fuel pressure which could cause the stalliing and popping which occur just before switching to reserve.
2. Fuel pressure regulator going bad. A fuel pressure test will confirm if this is an issue. A fuel gauge is necessary to DIY or drop by a dealer or indy shop and have them check it for static and loaded conditions.
https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Tool-Fuel-Pressure-Gauge-MC-500/dp/B009XIWSEQ
3. Pin hole in the internal fuel line. Open the tank when starting and listen for a hissing sound when the pump is priming.

That's all I got.;)

I had a 03 RKC that many of the same symptoms were caused by a loose harness plug in at the ignition switch.
Lifted the console up and the plug fell off the switch.
I also changed the fuel filter the eliminated the lean condition back fire.

Back