free website stats program 2002 Road King clutch effort | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Road King clutch effort

kaotik88

I'm wondering how hard other Road King owners have to pull to get the clutch lever in. I have to pull quite hard to get the lever in and if I'm sitting at a stoplight for very long I have to go to neutral because my hand gets tired.

I rode my brother-in-laws 2008 Street Bob and could pull his lever in easily. Almost with one finger. I realize there's 6 years difference and different transmissions, but the noticeable difference in effort got me wondering if mine may need some attention.

Anyone out there care to weigh in on this? Thanks in advance.

Welcome from Idaho kaotik88, sounds like a good lube job is in order for your clutch cable, but I have found it almost has to be done daily on a older bike, one of the best investments you can make is the easypull upgrade from Harley, it really works and it's something you would enjoy every ride. Don't be mislead by cheap aftermarket easypulls like white brothers & others. Another option you can convert to a hydraulic clutch but the easypull is clean, cost efficient and it works as you experienced it on your brother inlaws.

Thanks Chopper. I read about the easypulls in my reading before posting but may have to research those further. I think an easypull is moving up my list of things to do on the bike. Thanks again!

Here's the link to it, you can open the install instruction and have a look at it for yourself. What it is basically, is what your brother inlaws bike came with stock from the factory. I would also recommend installing a new clutch cable since the labor part will be nothing while doing the reduced efford clutch. I don't know what fluid you are running in the trans, but while you're installing the easypull try some redline sp trans fulid or spectro trans fluid if you're not already using it and the shifting will be as much a upgrade as the clutch pull.

Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

I have a 02 RK, I don,t have a problem with the clutch pressure. I do find that it gets even easier when I lube it. Maybe you have a kink in the cable.

Here's another option. I have used these many times and they reduce lever effort by a substantial amount. I measured it (unofficially) by attaching a spring scale to the lever before and after and if memory serves me correct, there was about a 4 LB difference which is significant when it comes to compressing the lever.

E Z Pull Clutch (big twins) - Harley Davidson Community

Pirateking, thanks for your input. I'll be lubing the cable for sure.

Glider, I've been reading many of the posts you have made in the self help section. Been a true help. I'm going to be looking in to the EZ pull clutch kits very soon.

I bought this bike used a year ago and am learning much about it as I go. Thanks for the great community and the great resource of information.

Glider beat me too it, but I can say the EZ clutch is available for Big Twins AND Sportsters, different part numbers but results are about 1/3 less clutch pull strength required. That and reducing the free play (just enough so that you can turn bars lock to lock and "just remove the free play at worst case" and voila, lever is closer for easier "friction zone" control, which is way cool.

Back