free website stats program 2002 Lowrider purshase | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Lowrider purshase

mo1200

Account Removed
Maybe you all can help me make a decision. I was just offered to buy a 2002 Lowrider. It has 21000 miles on it and is in good shape, paint, crome, seat, tires etc. The enging is sound, no leaks that I can see either under it or up under it. It starts and runs good. Now the dealer is asking 8000.00 for it. Does this sound like a good price? Should I invest in some warranty for it. Should I shy away from it and wait for a newer bike or maybe go for a new Sportster 1200C? I ride to work, and a little play on the weekends, mostly me, sometimes momma to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That price sounds reasonable for a bike in good condition. I would go for it. 2002 twin cams are good engines, I can't remember for sure but i think they still have the timkens on the crank? Also I think 02 was still in the years when the pinion runout isn't as much of an issue as the newer ones.
As far as comparing to a sportster, I think you'd be happier with the dyna - I say this because if you like the dyna now, you'll probably still want one after buying a sporty.

ive got a 02 the 88s are good engines, alot of the 02 were still carburated. if that matters to you, i just prefer a carb.

I would Shop around and see what else is out there, there are some good deals to be had, I just picked up a 99 Lowrider with 1060 miles on it when I got it, Paid $7800.00 for the Bike and it is still like New. It is the 88TC Engine and Carbureted, Runs like a Champ!

The retail value for that bike in the kelly blue book is$10625.00 so at $8000.00 it sounds like a good deal.Moving up to a big twin is always a good idea.Your wife and you would be a lot more comfortable on it.I would go for it!!

I agree it sounds like a good deal at $2600 below retail price. Check it over carefully and ask to see service records. Much more bike for the money than the sporty.

Shameless plug for a 1999 FXD Twim Cam, 2600 miles, $ 8000 :D

Makes 110 to 115 RWHP with turbo.

Has PM wheels, Inverted front end with real brakes, 180 backtire.

QJMRY-RSsz1400.jpg

Last edited:
I would ask the dealer to remove the cam chest cover so you could inspect the cam chain tensioner pads. Should only take them a half hour or so, unless they have to remove pipes. Some of the chains around that time were not polished properly and the pads could be worn. I checked my '03 at 80k miles and they still looked fresh, but some have grenaded with many fewer miles. Sounds like a good deal to me. Good luck.
Respects,
Bob

Back