free website stats program 2002 Heritage Misfiring _ Please help | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Heritage Misfiring _ Please help

Dkinney

The last time I rode my 2002 Heritage Fuel injected it started missing and backfiring suddenly out of the blue. I made it home (about 10 Miles). It starts up and runs no problem but it skips and backfires. It doesn't make a difference if it is idling or if I give it some throttle. There doesn't seem to be any pattern it runs normally for a couple of minutes and then it backfires and misses a couple of times and then repeats the process. I checked the diagnostics and I get a code 63 (System relay contacts open). That is the only code I get. Would that relay cause it to run like this? Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

But have you checked that the battery cables and clean and tight on both ends?????? Riding if even the slightest looseness can cause a misfire condition..

HD02FXST016.gif

# 8 Crank Sensor is the biggest problem, tho a shorted plug wire (do you have a coil cover) installed? The wires can short out there and cause this problem also

I did check the battery cables and made sure they were clean, tight and dry. I checked all the wiring on the bike and made sure there are no loose connections etc.
This afternoon I am going to get a can of WD40 and check the intake for leaks.
I"m leaning towards bad gas or a dirty gas filter. I just filled the bike with gas 20 miles before this happened. I did try dry gas thinking there may have been water in the gas but that didn't change anything. I also installed new plugs but the old ones looked OK and that didn't change anything.

Back