free website stats program 2002 flstfi headlamp | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 flstfi headlamp

weldbead

there is a ring under the outer bezel that holds the sealedbeam lamp inplace that screws into the housing. the trim ring is slightly sprung and does not want to stay together at the bottom. its as though the outer ring is not tight enough to compress the trimring shut, it has an unsightly gap. when i disassembled it i noticed a small piece of brown plastic 1/2" long, maybe 1/8 thick lying atop the trim ring, beneath the outer ring..im wondering if the previous owner didnt install it as a shim to keep the ring together at the bottom. any suggestions or thoughts of similar issues much appreciated.

Is it possible it had a headlight visor at 1 time and maybe the trim ring got a wee bit bent?

sorry, i think i have used the wrong terminology..looking at my service manual..it is the mounting ring that is spread..the trim ring is fine and meets the housing all the way around.so i was guessing there needs to be a shim under the trim ring to push the mounting ring together..

HD02FXST048.gif

Is this your head light?

yes..the left one is flstf..cant read the number but in my manual it is designated mounting ring.. i took off the outer trim ring and took a foto with my cell fone to show you the problem..now i have the foto in my email but not sure how to get it to where i can post it here..taking the mounting ring off i saw that it somewhat spring out of flat.. there is a gap at the bottom, the ring is not a continuous circle..a little hand persuading and lots better.. put it together, now need a day without rain so i can take it out and see if it stay s together. thanks..

here is the foto showing the gap at bottom
that is with trim ring removed before i tweaked it

Attachments

• IMG_0236headlamp.jpg
    IMG_0236headlamp.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 23
the reason i got looking at the headlamp in the first place was to see what was inside because it is very dim and i want to replace it. harley seems to offer a halogen replacement for $144 and an LED for $500. Im sure the led is brighter.I see a led in jp cycles for $265 made by headwind. my question is does anyone know headwinds as a reliable mfr, and any idea how their product compares to harleys, or for that matter other upgrade suggestions would be welcome.

Back