free website stats program 2002 FLHRI Rich Condition/Fouling Plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 FLHRI Rich Condition/Fouling Plugs

perzaklie

I am having problems with my 2002 FHLRI running rich. Sometimes when I start it, it will not idle. I can shut it off and wait a few seconds and start it again and it will idle. In both instances, it blows black smoke when I blip the throttle. Here's what I have done so far. Changed TPS (twice), CKP, Injectors, Coil, Wires, couple dozen sets of plugs, speedometer speed sensor. I have taken it two three HD dealers and one independent and no one can tell me what the problem is. It will not throw a code. The last dealer I took it to seemed really sincere in trying to help me. He kept it a week and ran all sorts of tests but found nothing and charged me nothing. He did tell me the tune on the bike was the stock tune and the ECM was in spec. The plugs are solid black soot when they are pulled. I did have a Dobec tuner on it but I pulled it off to see if it was the problem. It has never completely let me down but I am really worried now about setting out on a long trip. I do have one concern. That is when the CKP was changed, I had a little trouble re-inserting the wires into the Duetsch connector. I have misplaced the instructions that came with the CKP which detailed the process of re-inserting these wires. If any one has a copy of the CKP instructions you could send me, I would really appreciate it. Re-examining that connector is one thing I have yet to do and I don't want to fool with it until I have the instructions. So, if anyone has any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc to offer on this problem, I would sure appreciate hearing from you!

Found it! On this model, when the CKP is changed out the old connector housing is used. Some time ago I replaced the CKP. When the housing was re-assembled, I did not get it correct and one of the pins was not making good contact. I replaced the connector and all seems well. I'll monitor it closely over the next few weeks.

Thanks but my bike will not post a code. Three different HD shop analyized the ECM and no code was present. The eHow procedure does not apply to 2002 FHLRI. On mine, Turn key switch to IGN for 3 seconds, pause 1 second after fuel pump stops, turn switch back to LOCK for 3 seconds, turn switch back to IGN, wait 8 seconds, check engine light flashes 6 rapid flashes indicating code is ready to flash, first digit will be indicated by number of flashes, light will pause 2 seconds, then flash second digit, etc until the code is indicated. If more than one code is stored, after 6 seconds, the next code will flash in the same manner. My bike has never displayed a code in this manner nor on the HD code reader.

--SNIP-- Turn key switch to IGN for 3 seconds, pause 1 second after fuel pump stops, turn switch back to LOCK for 3 seconds, turn switch back to IGN, wait 8 seconds, check engine light flashes 6 rapid flashes indicating code is ready to flash, first digit will be indicated by number of flashes, light will pause 2 seconds, then flash second digit, etc until the code is indicated. If more than one code is stored, after 6 seconds, the next code will flash in the same manner. --SNIP--

WOW and you better hope that a bikini sportin honey doesn't walk by! If you have to go through that more than once in a day you will need to get out the utility lights!

Back