free website stats program 2002 Fatboy will Crank but will not Start | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Fatboy will Crank but will not Start

hdglide

Hi
I just changed my handlebars which came with internal wiring. Now the bike has no spark and will not start. Everything else works fine, the alarm lights etc.
I have checked and double checked the wiring connections and they are good.
I have completed the disconnected battery assignment with key fob
I have assigned a new personal code and assigned my key fob but it still will not start.
This is my 4th day on it so any help would be appreciated as I do not know what to try next.
HDGlide

Check the RUN-switch on the rightcontrol of the handlebar . This swich passes current to the ECM.
Easy to check ,if you open this control. Both sides should have current ,when main-switch and runswitch is on !.
Or brigde this , on the connector in the headlight !. Good Luck

Good suggestions from above, I assume the bike is dead and will not turn over. Check the fuses first to see if one blew while swapping out the bars, a wire may be pinched and shorting out, happened to me when I changed grips. Its probably something very easy if you were prudent in putting everything back together.

Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL

So, the motor turns over but won't start? Obviously something that was done or not done in the handle bar swap is causing the issue. Start with the RUN switch as has been suggested. If that checks out, must be something messed up in the bar swap.When issues present after a modification 99.8% of the time the issue lies with the modification, so focus on that.;)

Everything on the bike works okay, the alarm, lights indicators horn and it will crank over, I have double checked the wiring no pinches or earthed out cables, just no spark. I have a 02 carb model so no ECM, Would I still need to marry the TSSM to the ICU, Thanks for your help,

If you can use the starter , the run switch is OK. and the alarm is disabled. (if alarm would not be disabled , the starter would not crank, so that is not the issue)
Check for power on the both coils. Good luck!!

Last edited:
hdglide said:
Would I still need to marry the TSSM to the ICU, Thanks for your help,

I don't know why you would have to do this. I still think something is awry with the wiring connections made with the bar switch. If those connections were made correctly, no grounds, etc. there is no reason why the bike should not start.

However, at this point, you should be checking for codes. The procedure to check for codes is in the service manual; do you have one? Have you checked the fuse (15A) to the ignition module? Carbed models don't rely on compression like the EFI models but rely on the cam position sensor so my might check it; it's behind the cover on the cam chest but I don't know how to test; it is not cheap to replace. Crank position sensor is worth checking as well; check for debris collected on the sensor. All of these possible sources of the issue would be coincidental and not seemingly related to the bar switch.

I agree with others here, if it started before the bar swap then what’s the common denominator? It can be frustrating but another trace of all wiring and connections needs to be done. JMHO.

Grey wire coming from the "ign-fuse" is supplying power to the ignitionmodule (pin1). This through the run-switch's black/white wire.
This same wire also provides power to both coils. Check these wires again !.
If necessary I have a manual available in PDF, happy to share ,with who might need it !.
FLS/FSX twincam 88B /96B/103B 2000-2005.

Back