free website stats program 2001 Ultra, Throttle Cable Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Ultra, Throttle Cable Replacement

ultraj

I am trying to find information on the difficulty of replacing the throttle cable myself, is it something I should attempt or should it go the stealership? I have read about fuel pressure in the tank, idle adjustment issues and cruise control problems. Any information would be of help, I have a fairly good mechanical ability just have never attempted this.
Thanks in advance for your help.

on my 93 i have done removed & installed cables several times & on triumph too. its not hard take pics of disassembly.

Mechanically, it's not difficult. If you don't have a service manual, there are some tips you will miss that make it easier. You may not have to remove the gas tank, but lifting it at the back makes it easier. You can probably order and get a Genuine HD service manual in the time it will take to schedule it in at the shop. Best $60 you can spend on your bike, and it will more than pay for itself on the cable install.

Thanks for your help, I finished the cable replacement last night, went better than I thought it would. I did get the manual and I would have missed a very important step without it, has to do with the idle cable adjustment and the cruise control.
Point of interest, I was having a hard time getting the brass ferrule in the twist grip. To help do this I opened the butterflys and placed a large socket inside the inlet to hold them open which gave me more slack in the throttle cable to install the ferrule into the twist grip.

ride safe

Back