free website stats program 2001 springer issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 springer issue

Nettie

Trying to help a friend here as I am the passenger and enjoy riding also! We have a leaky transmission. Put a new gasket on about a month ago and still leaking. Started out leaving about 2-3 inch spot with spatter on case. He says its now leaking like a seive. Its Memorial Day weekend and since my daughter is away, I'd really love to go for a ride!
Any ideas here? Leak coming from another spot?

The only way to diagnose the problem is to clean the area well and run the bike to see where the fresh oil is coming from.

Seems to be coming from the bottom. Cleans it after each ride lately. Been watching it since he changed the gasket a month ago. Did good for about 2 weeks. Only rides on the weekends due to trucking during the week.

Nettie

All oil leak will eventually come from the bottom after they run down the part that is leaking. There's a few places that can leak from the transmission, the primary is usually good for a leak at the gasket from not being porperly torqued when reinstalling and lastly the engine oil. It's best to do a good wash and then locate where the leak itself is. The advantage of running a different trans oil like Spectro or Redline is that they are red in most cases except for the GL 1 which is green and you can tell what is leaking from the color of the oil.

Find out where it's coming from and after that it's not a big deal to repair the problem.

Which side of the bike and area is the oil dripping from and what gasket did he change a few weeks ago ?

Left side, large case, outside edge, at the bottom of bike. Bigger gasket? Runs about $40 at the harley shop in Indianola Ia. He uses a tork chart and tork wrench for tightening the bolts.

Sounds like the primary gasket from your description. It could be a bit warped from previous attempts at changing the gasket by others, best bet is to use the HD gasket with the silicone bead on the face of it rather than an aftermarket which usually leak anyway. Torquing the bolts in the proper sequence is very important too which eliminates the possibility of warping the cover when installing.

Thank you very much, I will pass this info on. I know as the "female rider" its not "proper" to be asking these questions. Just hoping he appreciates my investigating. Hey, I like to ride too so If I can help the process in anyway...LOL! Helps me learn a little too for future use!

Let us know the outcome of the leak.

You may also want to tell your friend to use a RTV silicone and make a thin skin of it on the non beaded side of the gasket. Can't hurt and it may do the trick.

Will do on both...Now just waiting for him to wake for the day and catch him before he goes to work on it! lol

Back