free website stats program 2001 Sportster Speedometer Cutting In and Out | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Sportster Speedometer Cutting In and Out

jnav72

My wife's 2001 HD Sportster keeps having issues with the speedometer cutting in and out when she rides. One minute it works fine and registers mph and odometer readings then it will cut out and go to zero and stop working or registering anything. I have replaced the VSS with a brand new one from Harley. I have tried looking for DTC codes (all of them show clr which is clear) and still cannot identify the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, here are some other readings that came up when looking for codes. (Not sure what they are.)
After cycling thru all 10 codes, I get PPU then the sequence of numbers 78367 shows up.

When this happens does the odometer still work? do the turn signals still function?

Go to the Search Forums section and type in speedometer not working, page down and hit search. Read some of the posts to see if anything applies to your issue.

There are several things that could be causing your issue.

This is what PPU stands for. (pulses per unit)

"After all the diagnostic codes are displayed, the speedometer's pulses per unit (PPU) setting is displayed. This number will vary depending on speedometer part number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back