free website stats program 2001 Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road King

hd4evr

Banned
I'm looking at a 2001 Road King with 13,000 miles. Two problems. I've ridden it and the front brake lever will pull all the way to the bars unless you "pump" it, kinda like a car that needs it's brakes bled. Also, the bike runs fine except the right side exhaust is very dis colored at the back, like in this pic....................he wants $12,000 for it. Thoughts of what's wrong?

368_2.jpg

Two problems. I've ridden it and the front brake lever will pull all the way to the bars unless you "pump" it, kinda like a car that needs it's brakes bled. Also, the bike runs fine except the right side exhaust is very dis colored at the back, like in this pic....................he wants $12,000 for it. Thoughts of what's wrong?

One at a time:

Brakes. Probably just needs to be bled. May not be enough fluid in the reservoir and in turns/hard stops, may be sucking air. Check the condition of the brake pads.

Exhaust. You will probably be putting on a different set of slip-ons anyway. Discoloration is heat. Engine may be running hot (too lean).

Price. Check the blue book price to see if this is a reasonable price. Seems high to me. Not sure if it is an FLHR, FLHRI, or FLHRCI, but the FLHRI trade is $9K, retail is $12.3K. See here:

Motorcycle Trade-In Values & Retail Prices! - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

TQ

I am not a expert on this, but looks like a road king classic with the leather bags. 13,000 miles is low for a 01, I agree that the front brake needs bleeding, may have a leak somewhere, mine did the same thing, leak was in the fitting under the nacelle. There are deals out there, but I am a impulse buyer, if I want it, its mine.

What color is the brake fluid, if it has had little or no maintenance the braking system may have a lot of internal corrosion. Not a big deal in either case if you do your own work...especially if it has all the original stuff, rubber seals and hoses don't last forever and rebuilding a M/C is not out of the question...$12 grand is a decent price if that is all that you see as "wrong" and you do your own work. Odds are also pretty good you would change pipes/slipons at some point anyway while sorting out the "lean" A/F mixture once it were yours.

If the lever comes up when you pump it, that usually indicates some rebuilding on the master cylinder If the bleeding doesn't take care of it. Generally if it is just a bleeding problem, the lever will not pump up.

As far as the exhaust, that model exhaust will do that because of the baffle design, some worse than others depending if there is a tuner on the bike to add some fuel and how it is set. It looks like a thunderheader system. Most of the exhaust will exit the right side and could be why you are seeing more carbon there than the other side.

One more thing.........This a dealer's bike and he wants my 2007 SuperGlide AND $4,000 for the bike. Now what do you think?

Back