free website stats program 2001 Road King Rough Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road King Rough Idle

Dean Losure

I am having rough idle issues and cont find anyone who can fix or figure it out. I have rode my bike to Nashville from Indiana 2 times now and both times after the trip my bike starts acting up. Rough idle, Carbon fouling the plugs, backfiring, and it sounds like the fuel pump is dumping way too much fuel. It is an 01 Road King with PCM3-USB, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Intake and Wild Pig Slip On's. Please help!

Possible wear holes in the "inside the fuel tank" fuel lines...low fuel rail pressure. Dealer or indy can check fuel pressure to injectors.

Enjoy,
Rich P

You may want to retune your PCM3, might be dumping to much fuel into the engine. The symptoms you described would indicate you are running to rich.

Hows your mileage?, are the exhaust tips black or sooty?

The Magnetti-Morelli EFI system was still in use in 2001; replaced by Delphi in 2002 MY.

How long have you run the PCIII? Have you had the motor dyno tuned? The MM system TPS is very sensitive and must be spot on for the proper fuel delivery.

If you have not had the motor dyno tuned, you should do that first. Most have found more success with the Dobeck units on the MM system than the Dynojet PCs because of the ability to self tune and avoid the cost of dyno tuning.

There is a link to setting the TPS attached which will illustrate how sensitive the unit is.

Harley Davidson Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection Settings - YouTube

Back