free website stats program 2001 Road King Air Suspension Moisture | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 Road King Air Suspension Moisture

Delmar

I recently purchased an ex-Police Road King and today gave the bike a good going-over. When I attempted to check the air suspension pressure, moisture sprayed out of the front & rear Schrader valves. It smelled a bit like oil, solvent or WD-40.

I can understand fork oil may get into the front line air, but what about the rear shocks? The manual warns that moisture may spray out, however mentions nothing about adding oil to the rear shocks so I wonder where it came from.

Also the manual states to use a “no-loss” air gauge. What is that? Does anyone here use a standard tire dial gauge?

Moisture comes from humid outside air being compressed, condenses in confined area and oil IS some of the fork/shock oil being carried out as you depressed the Schrader valve and 35-50 PSI air pressure escaped. "No-loss" air guage actually means "Low-loss" meaning use a Fork/Shock low pressure guage with no long expanding hose that makes the readings 3 or 4 PSI low due to losses in the hose and not the proper Bourdon low loss movement design within the guage itself.

The "no loss" gauge is a gauge with a different type of head that will attach without the usual"psssst" that you get when using the tire gauges.
The air shock system is a low volume system and using a regular gauge will deplete the air in the system by a small amount every time you test the pressure. The "no loss" gauges are made to eliminate that and are available at the dealer for about $45 and worth it.
Basically they seal the connection before depressing the valve so there's no loss of air.

Touring Suspension Air Pump, 54630-03A,
54630_03A_L_19866.jpg

I recently purchased an ex-Police Road King and today gave the bike a good going-over. When I attempted to check the air suspension pressure, moisture sprayed out of the front & rear Schrader valves. It smelled a bit like oil, solvent or WD-40.

I can understand fork oil may get into the front line air, but what about the rear shocks? The manual warns that moisture may spray out, however mentions nothing about adding oil to the rear shocks so I wonder where it came from.

Also the manual states to use a “no-loss” air gauge. What is that? Does anyone here use a standard tire dial gauge?

Get the gauge from H-D as shown in Gliders post. Well worth the money IMO.

Back