free website stats program 2001 heritage pipes bluing | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 heritage pipes bluing

Billbo

Hello all, I'm still new here but I have yet another question. My bike has (bought with) aftermarket exhausts. Not even sure what brand/type. I have looked online and they actually look like staggered slashcut longshots??? The HD mech said they look like Rush pipes? Anyway, the rear cylinder pipe is very blued at a joint where it appears that the muffler joins the header - somewhere under the passenger foot boards. Both of the header pipes have heat shields and look very good. The bluing begins at that pipe joint and goes for about 4-6". The HD shop said I may need a "TUNER" installed - otherwise just run it as is - no problem - clean it with semi-chrome. And I know several things may cause this 'bluing' but wouldnt you want to just check to see if its running rich on that cylinder?
Questions:
What is a tuner?
Can I simply cover the bluing with another heat shield?
How do I lower my idle speed - mine, I believe is too high. (have no tach) and it is fuel injected.

Thank you
Bill

Most all pipes blue regardless of the state of tune. Lean running will do it more.

If you want to add some fuel without breaking the bank, I suggest the TFI, you can do it yourself and it will run much better.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection

There's more posts on it here including a discount link.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

Cleaning with simchrome or blue away will effect the finish and dull it out. Best to see if you can fins a heat shield to cover it up.

As far as the idle speed, you should be at 950-1050 idle speed. If you have the Delphi injection on that bike the dealer has to adjust it. If it's the morelli, you can do it yourself but I wouldn't guess at the speed if you don't know where it's idling now.

Thanks Hobbit and Glider, the bluing begins at the intersection of the rear header pipe and what I would guess is the muffler. the headers have heat shields and they are not blue, but the heat shield does not extend beyond that joint between the header and muffler. Does that make sense? I dont even know what brand or style of exhaust, but they are like straight pipes and the same OD from engine to slashcut end - only thing is, the heat shield only covers the header -- about the first 20" or so. From there back has no shield and that is where it is turning blue. Very blue too.

I will follow the links given and read up on TFI (what's TFI) and EFI. Previously I had starting problems in my first post. The HD dealer came and got the bike and took it back to shop and replaced the battery and brought it back -- when I started up the bike, it seemed to be idling much higher than it was when it went to the shop. Now I dont even give it gas using the throttle - all I have to do is let out the clutch and away we go. NOT 90 mph mind you -- but idling higher rpms than before. I almost hate to shift down into 1st gear from standing idle. I will be going back to the (a) dealer soon I suppose.

Bill

Glider, I have no idea which fuel injection I have -- how can I tell?
Oh yes - I have the HD service manual on order from the dealer.

Bill

Tell us which one you have from the pictures above and we'll let you know if you can do anything of the dealer has to do it.

glens - those are some perfectly fine photos. However, I will have to take a closer look tonite and let you know tomorrow. Which one would have the idle adjustment - left or right?

thanks
Bill

glider, I looked at those TFI links -- that sure seems to be the "cat's meow" and something I most likely would need. Easy enough to install - viewing the video on the website

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Glens and Glider - (humm - glens 'n glider - there might be a good bluegrass song in there somewhere)---- I have the one on the left - sorta looks like a little engine cylinder with cooling fins. So I spose that is just my luck - a dealer fix. But thanks for all the information and at least I now know what type of injector I have!!! I am considering at least discussing that TPI more with some folks - that might help my 'bluing' concern - but not my high idle concern.

Bill

Bill

Back